Which Subwoofer for my system.

bae

Novice Member
Appreciate your thoughts as to which subwoofer l should purchase - to match to the following components. Have Kef R3 speakers and Rotel RA1592 mk ll integrated amp ( has mono sub out feature ). Was considering the following subs : REL T9x $2000 Australian ( £1060 )
REL T9i $1549 “ (£820) x2 subs on sale.
SVS SB3000 $ 2290 “ ( £1200)
REL S510 $3200 “ (£1690)
I want the sub for stereo only ( no HT ). Musicality is the desire ; too enhance the speakers , not chest thumping response. Room is large open plan (living room / open plan kitchen ). Stereo components in one corner. No neighbours to consider. Any other subs to consider ?
Thanks in advance. Brett. Vale Charlie Watts.

Dobbyisfree

And I believe all the Arendals have PEQ as well, which may be very useful as assume your Rotel has no EQ?

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
I'd also throw in Velodynes new DeepBlue series Subs. Tight and Fast - pefect for music duties.

bae

Novice Member
Thanks , will look into the Velodyne series as well. Any members with R3’s : what sub are you utilising ?

bae

Novice Member
Found a reviewer who appears not to b.s. about sub reviews. NEMO PROPAGANDA on Youtube. Explained SQ vs SPL. I fall into the SQ side so will narrow choice down to REL , Rhythmic and Arendal subs.

Corbaatje

Go duals and find out what size subs you need to fill your space with sound.

Arendal I don't know(expect them to be helpfull), but both REL and Rythmik are very helpfull choosing the right subs.
From your list I would buy 2xREL T9i.
Personally I would not buy a sub that is much more expensive than your speakers.

I would ad JL Audio to the list, NEMO is wrong to say JL is on the SPL side.
JL is both, SQ+SPL :)
I owned Rythmiks(F12, E15)and JL's(F112, D110, D108), great subs for music.
Rythmik is the best bang for tha buck.

Just listenend to the REL T9x and JL D110 in the same room and both are great subs for music.
Soundwise I preferred the JL. Without DSP the REL is easier to integrate.

bae

Novice Member
Arendals looked very interesting. Only problem shipped from Europe and any warranty would be difficult to implement ( time and cost to ship ).

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks to all for suggestions. Have purchased REL T9x for £1004.

Why not 2x T9i for 1550$ cause it would have been lot better even for music listening as the same benefits for duals apply?! The difference to T9x is minimal, same amp, driver has changed - same specs, new cabinet design.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
They were $1550 each ( x2 )
Ok. Well you will add 2nd T9x later in future then! :) It does look gorgeous for living room and i don´t think many would disagree buying for the music listening which this range is aimed for. We have had some "wars" about buying T-range products for movie use where it doesn´t offer good value/performance. But enough of that, keep us posted how you like it when it arrives. :smashin:

bae

Novice Member
I’ll try one first: You may be right about second sub purchase. Never ending vortex/ cycle l’m now in.

bae

Novice Member
Connected REL T9x yesterday. Easy to setup . 11 clicks out from 30 Hz lowest setting (9 - 10 am position) for crossover frequency. Gain ( volume control ) at approximately 1pm position. Initially had som hum but repositioned Neutrik cable and solved problem. Now have better bass depth / dynamics. Will fine tune over time.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom