1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which subwoofer: B&W or Velodyne?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ccgj, Apr 13, 2004.

1. ccgj

ccgj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Please, whould someone help me whih this issue?

Which subwoofer is the best/ideal to mach the following set:

! Front speakers: two B&W DM602 S3
    ! Surround speakers: two B&W DM601 S3
    ! Central speaker: B&W LCR60 S3
    ! Receiver: Denon AVR 3805

--> Velodyne CHT 10 or a B&W ASW 600
    Does the B&W worth extra price?

Any other suggestion?

Thanks!
    Claudio

2. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    Claudio,

I have not heard either the Velodyne CHT 10 or the B&W ASW 600, but I am more than happy with my Velodyne SPL 1200. All I would say is don't underestimate the importance of a quality sub in a AV system. Mine is now my favourite piece of audio equipment, and i wouldn't be without it.

So, spend as much as you can afford, and buy the best. :)

Cheers

Rob

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    I'm still using my cht-10 but had it with the same system as you (except my av amp was/is the avr3802). It complemented the B&W's very well imo offering good performance for the money. I've not heard the asw600 so I don't know how it compares to the velodyne or if it's worth the extra though. I think you'll find it quite hard to do a direct comparison as there are not many velodyne dealers around.

4. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    I had a CHT-10 and for the most part I was very happy with the performance, especially with movies. I would assume the B&W would suit the music side things better than the CHT-10, as I found it a bit slow sounding for this(hard to explain but I was never happy in this respect!?!).

I have recently upgraded to a CHT-15 which is a big beast to say the least, now the step up was far more than I imagined. For movies it has the capabilities to scare the life out of me and it also seems to work better with music, no idea why, but seems more controlled.

I would agree with Pulsar that your Sub is a very important part of the puzzle, a Decent one can totally transform your system. I also heard a DD-15 over the weekend, and anyone who's feeling down this would put a instant smile on your face, WOW!! :D

Hopefully others will be ablie to advise you on the B&W600, have you got a budget in mind?

Giz.

5. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Got to agree with that. I say that you must not restirct your self to your budget.
    Go and dare to try out different subs. Even in teh higher pricerange.

Than go get the sub that can deliver the performance you expect/demand from your sub.

If it's to high in price..you could always choose to wait awhile or go buy it 2nd hand.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Ditto!

I could almost have written that word for word myself. Like Hawklord I run a 3802 with a CHT-10 & B&W speakers. I think it is a great sub, especially as it is fairly small and therefore doesn't take over my living room. I also have not heard the B&W sub so can't comment on that.

Mark.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    What Video tested the B&W here and didn't really think much of it. There don't seem to be many people in the forum that have one either.

There are quite a few Velodyne CHT-10 owners here as at one time they were sold at a discount through this forum. Most owners seem to be very happy with them.

If you have a store near you that sells both it would be a good idea to try and listen to them but if the Velodyne is cheaper than the B&W it would seem that the odds are weighted nicely in it's favour anyway.

8. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Hi Claudio,

I have a very similar system to you, and have recently purchased a B&W ASW675.

I was originally interested in the 600 (650 was too big) and wanted to check it out against the MJA Ref100, as after reading peoples comments on here the Ref100 sounded like a bit of a bargain, however I wasn't able to get a demo of the MJ (and am still waiting for Sevenoaks to call me back 2 months later:thumbsdow).

I had a listen to an M&K, can't remeber which one but is was over my budget at about £850, and the Rel Q150e which to me didn't seem as good as the reviews had led me to believe (5 stars:(). I would have demoed the CHT-10, but couldn't find any stockists near me, and wasn't too keen on the looks to be honest.

Then after listening to the ASW600, which I thought was ok, I tried out the 675 and I was hooked, it really did stand out from the others, and although I had set myself a £500 limit decided that the extra £80 was worthwhile, and now it is nicely bedded in, and sounds great in my system, and hopefully shouldn't need to be upgraded for a long time.

Hope this helps.

Ian

9. ccgj

ccgj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank`s for your help!

10. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I've owned both the 600 and the 675... The 675 blows it (and most other subs at this price) away..!

11. gavintennant

gavintennant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Claudio,

I have exactly the same setup as you (or I will do when I upgrade my 2802 to a 3805). Just wondering if you actually ended up getting a B&W675 or went for something different. If the 675, how did you find it in your setup?

Ta
    Gavin

12. ccgj

ccgj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the 675, how did you find it in your setup?

I`ve not decide yet. Probably I`ll get the Velodyne(CHT-10 or CHT-12). I think it has the best cost/benefit relation.
    I don`t know if B&W Subwoofers pay the extra money.

13. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    [ details edited out by Ian J ]

If its of any interest post a reply here and I will sort out an advert for it in the clasifieds.

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    The classified section doesn't quite work that way. If you wish to sell something please feel free to start a thread in the classified forum but please don't "pre sell" it here first.

Anyone else who wishes to try and sell a subwoofer to ccgj please don't forget to factor in the cost of getting it to him in Brazil.

15. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Lol, didnt know about ccgj being in Brazil. Now a listing in the classifieds anyway....