1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which subs would be a good match for M&K 850s?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by d.waters, Apr 17, 2005.

1. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    After visiting my local HiFi store yesterday, I have decided to upgrade my 3 K7 fronts with M&K 850s. I would also like to upgrade the sub. I would be willing to spend up to about £1800, as I would like to get the M&K MX350. Unfortunately, that is too big and I would also like it to have a wood finish for the WAF.

The dealer suggested the MX700 (push/pull) sub? My worry with this is it still only has 8" drivers, which I already have in my VX100s. I cannot fit any of the more upmarket SVS subs, as they're too big (as I've stated in a previous post). There is the M&K VX860, which is hard to find any info on. The Velodyne SPL 1200 (or even a pair of SPL 1000s for a similar cost to the MX350). I am also considering a pair of MJ Acoustics Reference 200s.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If correctly setup, twin subs make some improvements over a single sub but it isn't the equivalent of buying a bigger, better sub in the first place and for that reason I don't see twin MJ or Velo SPL subs as being the sonic equivalent of the M&K MX350

Have you thought about something from the B&W range ?

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As Ian says, twin subs do have some advantages and are a good route to follow in the right circumstances (I use 2 myself) but given a blank slate it would be wise to consider a single, better model. To be honest there isn't a lot to touch a well set up MX350.

If you can stretch your £1800 you should also consider the Velodyne DD10 as well as the B&W models which are highly regarded by some here on the forums.

I'm a little confused how you can't have the MX350 but can accomodate 2 seperate subs. :)

4. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the replies - I haven't really looked at B&W subs, but I thought they were possibly a bit large, but I will look more carefully. The dealer I use also stocks B&W.

Eviljohn - I can accomodate 2 smaller subs, as that's what I have now. They fit neatly into 2 front corners, just in from of my main speakers. If I change to M&K 850s, I will have less space in those spaces though, which might be a restriction. However, the M&K 350 will definately not fit into either of those corners because of its height.

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    B&W ASW750
    Would that fit as it is supposed to be an excellent performer and you should be able to demo it.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

6. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes - I've just downloaded a B&W Subwoofer brochure and they are not as big as I thought. The 750 certainly is about the right size!

7. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The B&W ASW865 looks interesting in terms of spec and seems to be quite economical sizewise. Anyone seen one of these are are they not out yet?

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,193
    The 865 is not yet available as i understand it (although may be wrong) it will however cost you over £2k

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    The 865 isnt yet as B&W are still refining the room eq system. As Phil mentions above It will cost £2k when released. The same model without EQ (ASW825) is out already and costs £1,600. I have the 825 and it is a very good performer. The ASW750 at £1,200 is also pretty good and is of a very similar spec to the ASW825.

Also consider the DD series from Velodyne (which have a built in Eq system).

10. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    One question I do have is what relative cost of sub to other speakers is considered to be appropriate? For instance, If I spent £2000 on a sub (which I am probably willing to do if that's what I need), it is not far from the total cost of what I expect to pay for my other 7 speakers (3 M&K 850s and 4 M&K K4s).

11. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Dave
    Look at my sig a sub for £2000 will fit in nicely with the m&ks and you shouldnt need to upgrade for quite some time.
    I think smurfin may still have his B&W asw850 up for sale in the classifieds at around £1500 which would be a good purchase.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

12. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes Gonzo - I'd have to have an extension built to fit one of those in!

I like the look of the ASW 865 with its extra 'electronics' as a possible alternative to the Velodyne DD-12.

13. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

I've had the pleasure of listening to the MX700 with a set of Xenon's at an M&K product training day and it is awsome, if I had the money I would sell my Velodyne SPL1200 mkII. There isn't a huge difference in it apart from the fact that they are eight's so the punch is amazing but the depth is up there with the SPL1200. The only thing that is wrong with your local dealer recommending it is that it only comes in black!!! It also wipes the floor with the VX850/VX860.

I would have a DD12 over the MX700 but then I have the DD12 in demo room 3 and would, for less money, find it hard between the MX350 and the DD12!

Regards

14. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    d.waters

Make it loud and aggressive I’ve got a JBL professional cinema size sub bass in the room and this plays just about any dts and Dolby stereo six-track film going, take TOP GUN special edition when those F-14 blow those Migs out of the sky at 120dbC :thumbsup: that’s just bloody loud, JBL sound power.

And there’s no popping or distortion; now that’s what I call some neat sound mixing… :thumbsup:

I am a former cinema projectionist.

Ashley…
    [​IMG] :thumbsup:

15. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    JBL4645:

where did u get your 4645 from, JBL, and how much was it?

I was considering a sub of this kind a while back, but found powereing it to be the obstacle. The right power amp was prohibitively expensive. What are u powering it with?

cheers

16. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hayes - thanks for your comments regarding the MX-700. Have you actually heard a VX-860 to compare it with the 700?

I am actually going to look at the B&W 865 when it's out, but another option I had thought of is a pair of M&K VX-860s located side-by-side, as jointly they are a size and shape I can accomodate. The 860 does have the same drive as the MX-350, and one of M&K's suggestions for locating 2 of them is side-by-side (in the VX-850/860 manual).

Regards

17. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

It's a shame you cannot fit the MX-350 into you're room as it certainly is a good match for the 850's and one of the subs M&K recommend to match with them but 2 VX-850/860's should be a good pairing aswell with plenty of punch and slam for movies, the B&W subs are very good aswell and definitly worth considering especially the new ones which will have EQ.

Cheers
    John

18. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

I have heard the 860 or rather a pair of them and they really are great when put together, depending on the size of your room, you may want to put them in opposite corners as you will get a more balanced amount of bass through out the room. Or put them in the two front corners, which is how I heard them, and sounded very equal with a nice oommpphh in the chest!!!

But, your requirements are to get a sub/subs in a specific place and if you can get two 860's in there, you won't be dissapointed.

Regards

19. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the reply Hayes - I can probably get them in the front corners as that's how my VX-100s are now (I'm going to use these in my smaller room). I can also fit them side-by-side - I just took that suggestion from the VX-860 user manual.

Once again - thanks for the advice.

Regards

20. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

You can't beat experimentation, all the theories in the world are all very well, but in real world conditions you may as well throw them out after giving you an idea of where to start!!! you may find putting them together is better, but if your same room was 3 feet longer, wider or taller it could be a very different story.

Also, changing the orientation of the subs can make a massive difference.

Regards

21. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    MX-350/MX-150/MX-125 or a VX-860/850 as a minimum. Just depends on your size requirements and how much you want to annoy the neighbours :)

22. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Good thinking - fortunately, I don't really have any neighbours!