1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which sub?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by deckard, Feb 26, 2003.

1. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Beginning to scrape some pennies together to scratch that upgrade itch...

I think the weakest link in my system is my 'sub'woofer:

TV: Panasonic TX32PL1
    Fronts : Linn Keilidhs (biamped active)
    Centre: Linn Trikan
    Rears: Jamo surround 300's
    Processor: Yamaha DSPE800
    DVD: Toshiba SD100E
    CD: Pioneer PDS904
    Sub: Yamaha YST-SW80
    Speaker cable: Chord Rumour all fronts, 2 core mains for rear:D
    Interconnects: Kimber PBJ & DV-70(I think?)

Sure I could use some better wire on my surrounds but the performance, or rather lack of it, from my sub is beginning to irritate.

I reckon I might get the boss to allow me to spend around £600-800 if I'm lucky.

Thinking of a Velodyne CHT-15 c/o Uncle Eric, anybody else got any suggestions??

2. Ravi 123

Ravi 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are you using as your amp ?

3. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    Got an REL Q100e just come back up for sale in the classifieds ... interested ?

4. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ravi, the amps are Linn Magik & LK140 biamping the front channels with internal Activ modules (bass in the Magik, treble in the LK140). The other channels are powered from the DSPE800.

Jont, cheers for the offer mate as that's still a good sub but I'm looking to the future as I don't have any cash at the mo :(

5. Ravi 123

Ravi 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you not happy with music or movies or is it both ?

Because if your not happy with movies i would thought it maybe your processor on the other hand if your not happy with music it could be the sub !!

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    So many variables

How big is your room?
    How much say does your boss have in how it looks? mind you you already have that Yamaha!!

Clearly Velo are well thought of on this bored and I'm not going to argue that one.

Others that are tipped:

B&W ASW675
    Rel (some have bad things to say about the quake but it's a matter of taste)
    MJ Acoustics Pro 50 & it's new big brothers Reference 100 & Reference 150.

I've just bought the MJA reference 100 size and WAF having blown any chance of owning a Velo.
    The B&W is very powerful (500 watts) but wasn't quite my cup of tea - this may be to do with it being front firing, I don't know anyway they cost £600 compared with £320 I paid for the MJA.

Rel didn't make it onto my radar purely in terms of WAF

7. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ravi, my music is listened to purely in stereo from my CD player via the Linn amps/speakers. The processor/sub are only used for movies - and believe me, it's the sub that's cr@p, not the processor! It extends only down to ~30Hz according to my Avia disc and I want something down to nearer 20Hz with much less distortion.

Wilber, thanks for the input. I'm lucky enough to have my own listening room so WAF is not so important. The room is slightly problematic as it's nearly square (14'x13'x9') and is in the cellar with solid walls - so lots of troublesome room modes. I was contemplating the B&W, what put you off? Did you get a demo?

8. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The nice ppl at 7oaks let me borrow an MJA pro 50 for several days followed by the 675 over a weekend.

The 675 seemed to be rather too much "in your face" it may be because it's forward firing and needs careful placing and setting up. Placement is not negotiable chez wilber :rolleyes: . I would probably have convinced myself to buy it had the nice ppl at 7oaks not been so keen to sell me the model costing half its price!

The MJA pro 50 is a lovely little box of bass and seemed perfect for my needs, so I settled on this one only to change my mind when I came across the new ones at the Bristol show - I didn't get to demo properly - really no more than get the rep to plug in the Pro 50 then then ref 100. I'm convinced that the new one is the better bet so was happy to pay the mere £50 extra. Anyway it should be here on Friday (not holding my breath) so I'll be able to give you more info after that time.

9. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wilber, having fun with the new toy yet?

C'mon guys, any other suggestions?

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Deckard, the problem is that this very same question is asked on an almost daily basis and most people get tired posting the same old answers.

There are plenty of similar threads within the past few weeks for you to plough through and get all the information you need.

11. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did that 'yeah, baby, yeah' velo sub get a demo at the Bristol show? I expected some comments.

ditton

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The comment that it wasn't being demonstrated was made in the Bristol Show review section. Velodyne concentrated on a couple of rather nice SPL800 servo assisted babies instead

13. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair point Ian.

However, there's not much activity at the price I'm looking at. Velo CHT-15 is wonderful, REL Q150 is crap but that's about it. I've found no end of advice re: REL Quake or Velo HGS-18 but that's bugger all use to me (excuse my French!).

14. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    No - Sub hasn't arrived yet ETA now this coming friday (still not holding my breath) :(

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Other options include the rare Paradigm Servo 15 which is a brute of a Home Cinema subwoofer but reputed to be a bit lacking when it comes to keeping up with music or something from the REL ST range, either the Strata or Storm.

16. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,
    I was so impressed by these little 600 watt beasties, I ordered a pair for my own use as "stereo subs" for the Batcave.
    Absolutely awsome.

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Does that mean that you're selling the big shiny box in the corner ?

18. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,
    No, the big shiny box stays for LFE.

19. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine seems fine with music :p and Richer sounds should have had a delivery at the end of Feb.

20. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmmmm....

I won't be holding my breath for Mr Richer to come through on that, seems RS have had more than a few supply probs for these beasties.

I think I'm looking at a 2 horse race between REL Strata III and Velo CHT-15, unless there are any late entries? (Had a listen to the REL Q150 and was distinctly underwhelmed:( )

21. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been moaning about the 150 long before I ever became involved with Velodyne. REL's older Q50 and the later Q100 subs were in a different league to this buzz box. REL's ST range is also very good. You might want to keep an eye out in the classifieds for good used ones that come up from time to time.
    Regards
    Eric

22. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uncle Eric

can you arrange a deal on the SPL 800??

regards

23. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eric, what is the order of the quality range of the Velo's..

for example, for Rel...

Studio
    Stentor
    Stadium
    etc
    until...
    Quake

Nathan

24. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>>Thinking of a Velodyne CHT-15 c/o Uncle Eric, anybody else got any suggestions??<<<

The cht15 is a good unit, I would also check out the servo15 assuming they've taken care of the issue they were having with the amps failing a while back. I wouldn't go with one of the small cubes(like the spl8) unless you couldn't fit anything larger into the room. Generally, the smaller the enclosure, the less performance you'll get for a given price. The small boxes tend to produce a LOT of THD(total harmonic distortion) too. An exception to this is the wonderful HGS series from VEL, but those may be out of your price range. With the new models being released from BW, you might be able to find a ASW2000/3000 on sale too...that would be something worth auditioning too. Oh, and the Paradigm PW2200...another very good Paradigm unit.

Tom V.
    SVS

25. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Tom/Eric/Ian etc.

26. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is why I've always said, for the ultimate in bass performance, you can't beat a hefty amp, powering a large driver in a big enclosure.

However, as mentioned, some folks simply don't have the room or don't want to see a huge subwoofer in their living room.
    While I'm no fan of mini subs myself, (in particular I think the Sunfire True's are awful), I'd agree that the high end servo driven baby HGS 10/12's are quite awsome.

However, I wouldn't clump the lower priced SPL's in the same bracket as most other distortion loaded mini subs on the market.
    I had the opportunity to hear a pair of these for maybe a total of 6 hours over three days with many types of music.
    I was hugely impressed. Impressed enough to buy two for myself.

The SPL features DDCS which is a distortion limiting system used by Velo on the SPL's. "Dynamic Driver Control System" helps these tiny subs to produce the superb sonics I heard at Bristol. Namely tight, accurate, musical bass which was amazing for it's size. For folks who don't know. DCDS is an active, signal-based system used by Velodyne to help produce linear cone movement, and control the driver's frequency and distortion characteristics. This reduces the distortion to many times that of some other mini subs out there.

27. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>>However, I wouldn't clump the lower priced SPL's in the same bracket as most other distortion loaded mini subs on the market.
    I had the opportunity to hear a pair of these for maybe a total of 6 hours over three days with many types of music.
    I was hugely impressed. Impressed enough to buy two for myself.<<<

I think the spl8 has about the same THD figures as the old original sunfire woof(well >30% down low...like 5-20% in the 25-35hz range at low to moderate output levels). Since the spl8 is smaller and costs less than the other one...it is definitely worth a look if you just can't fit anything larger than a showbox in the room.

Tom V.
    SVS