1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which sub?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jockey, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Jockey

Jockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to add a sub (pair of subs?) to my existing set up, for about 250/300sheets, TOPS! My room is about 13ft by 15ft, and my existing setup consists of Mission M74 floorstanders, Mission 77DS surrounds, Marantz SR4200 Av/Rx, Marantz 4100OSE dvd/cd, (centre speaker also to be added).

Is a pair overkill for a room of such small dimensions? Are Yamaha subs any use? They get good what hi-fi reviews, but average/poor home cinema choice reviews. All opinions/advice appreciated.

2. pc

pc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For 200-300 quid, get one sub rather than a pair. The MJ Acoustics is the best I've come across at that price point. You'd need to double your budget to get anything markedly better.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yamha subs can give good results, i had the YST SW150 and supprised me more than once. Suited to movies more than music, can be a little bit slow.
    Best thing is to demo, in the home if you can, some retailers have loan equipment for home demos.
    Better still try looking at second hand, you could pick up a decent sub for your budget.

4. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Question for PC.

Paul,
    I have M&K's K Series ( 3 x K 7's, 2 x K 4's, K 9 sub )

My room measures 17ft x 15ft with usual furnishings, carpet chairs etc. The little K 9 just doesn't hit me like a thought it would. Iv'e tried different settings on my 3802 and on the sub, but it just doesn't push the air around.

I want to stick with M&K and my dealer is going to exchange it for me. I dont want a monstrous size sub, but do you think that i would gain much out of the VX 100?

Any help appreciated
    Kev

5. pc

pc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The K9 will be working very hard in a room that size. To get the dynamics and that kick in the chest feeling, you need more headroom. The perfect sub if you want to keep the size down is the MX700. (If you can house a larger sub, you'll find the V125 will fit the bill). It is effectively a push/pull version of the VX100. But with more power. M&K use this at shows to demonstrate what can be done with a small sub designed well. I think it is better to try the VX100 at home first. Although it is better than the K9, it is still going to be working very hard in your room. Try it and see. We do ask alot of subwoofers in av systems. 1 8" bass unit doing the bass of 5,6,7,8 speakers. To acheive the dynamics that most of us crave, you need output to spare. The MX700 will do that in your room.

6. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Paul,

Many thanks for the reply. I've got some serious testing to do !

Cheers
    Kevin