Which sub....??

vm1451

Following on from my other thread, (which no doubt has yet to finish!), it looks like two subs will sort the room issues. So, where to drop the cash.....

I've been looking at the usual suspects in Arendal and SVS but am fully open to suggestions.

1961 1S shows -5dB in a room of my size, (approx 50m3), in Mr Wolfs chart. Oddly the 1723 1S also shows the same although explanations have been put forward about this. On the SVS front, the SB2000 comes in at -9dB and the SB3000 at -7dB but both of these subs have a FR going up to 240Hz and 270Hz respectively where as both of the Arendal subs go to 200Hz.

Now in the real world, what can I expect from these figures? The difference between two 1723s and two SB3000s is £155 in favour of the SVS so nothing really in the big scheme of things. I have a MiniDSP so I'm sorta figuring the SVS app is not really of any relevance? The difference between two 1961s and two SB2000s is somewhat more at £460 in favour of the Arendals. For clarity all prices reflect a particular finish.

Don't want to get into importing anything and I would like to stay with sealed subs. Any other brands I should be thinking about? I'm also well aware there is an imminent price increase looming for SVS although don't know if this will apply to current UK stock.

Like most peeps I'm looking for the best I can afford so all advice, (as always!), gratefully received. :thumbsup:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
There is the graded stuff for SVS -10% , but you should get any new dual SVS subs discounted -10%. Few forum advertisers should give you that discount, but you would need to act quite fast as i think i saw some dealer mentioning the price raising in UK too.

If you can afford 2x SB3000 or 2x 1723 1S i think it may come down to final price, looks/finish, size, side firing driver ok?, features (both have app with PEQ - 1961 won´t have) more than ultimate performance by figures..

Is the floor area 13,5m2?

The deal for REL HT1508 has ended so it´s 1600£ now.

PSA S1512DF = 1579£ and S1512 = 1639£. Wood finish 1959£.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
New prices coming in think and fast at the moment. SVS actually hit yesterday along with a few others.

Some Klipch last month and some next month.

It is all shipping related and remember we are shipping big heavy boxes. We are all eating a little bit of margin and there is nothing we can do when container shipping goes from £1500 to £15000 in 18months.

vm1451

Thanks Gasp.

Side firing driver I don't see as an issue....should I?

Floor area of room is 22.62m2.

Figures for the SVS subs take into account a warehouse option at AVO and as a AVO club member a further £10. Did contact AVO and Arendal asking about a discount on a multiple purchase, both came back negative.

Those PSA subs would be way too much regarding the fact I'm after two and are showing out of stock anyway.

ashenfie

Agree either will do the job. The svs is more handy rather than offer the eq you may need. For me Dirac live does the job. Have you considered this?

P.s I imported some car parts from German and it took a week and the company was vat register so no issue there

sm1ggsy

My vote is for a pair sb3000 the eq will come in very handy in your room

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
No if you can leave the clearance (5-10cm).

SB3000 going for 1147,50£/each as new refurb black oak and then the -10£ as VIP. But yeah tricky call as both are surely great products. Definitely the larger models as you can spend bit more. SB4000 wouldn´t be too much, but sadly there is no good deals for it (1800£).

@sm1ggsy Arendal has PEQ too with the new phone app and OP has miniDSP anyway.. :)

vm1451

sm1ggsy knows what the room has to give as he has played around with some REW graphs I've posted. I'll be getting back to him about that in the other thread!! :D

Might take a peak at the difference in physical sizes regarding the 1723s and the 3000s.

Regarding the fact that the Arendals have this wierd idea of putting the amp and driver on adjacent sides. What's that about? Any particular reason? To be honest I'm erring toward the 1723s as I prefer the look of the grill, having said that one of these two will be out of sight anyway! And having said that I'm, still not sure what the extra 270Hz at the top end will give me from the SVS........

Am I over thinking this? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mr Wolf

The SB-3000 might have a bit less output that the Arendal 1723 1S at 20Hz but higher up the range it has significantly more which should add to the impact of its delivery.

1633181681967.png

And, to quote Audioholics from its Bassaholic room rating guide

"Let’s think about how a subwoofer works. Its critical output region is in the 40-63Hz range. This is where it will play the loudest and where we will perceive and hear the most tactile response, it’s also where most of the low-bass content is in music and movies."

My chart on the other thread is about maximum listening volume capability in respect of which 20Hz output will be the limiting factor if you want to avoid distortion. Once you've ticked that minimum 20Hz output requirement box for your listening level I would prioritise 40-63Hz "chest slam" output as this is what you're going to be hearing and feeling most of the time in use.

Personally, I'd take the SB-3000 if maximum performance is the priority.

vm1451

Okedoke fella, input appreciated as always.

I'm still interested as to what the extra 270Hz at the top end gives? Considering the XO will be set to 80-90Hz then anything above say 140Hz this seems a bit pointless?

Mr Wolf

Okedoke fella, input appreciated as always.

I'm still interested as to what the extra 270Hz at the top end gives? Considering the XO will be set to 80-90Hz then anything above say 140Hz this seems a bit pointless?
Correct.

Something else you might not have considered is that at the crossover frequency the subs and speakers are making an equal contribution to what you're hearing. So due to a 24dB/octave roll-off the sub's output should already be about 6dB below the calibrated output level at that point.

6768d1205791286-sub-main-integration-crossover-80-sub-mains.jpg

OK, the LFE channel's output extends to 120Hz but it should start rolling-off by 80Hz in well mastered movies.

IMO you don't really need to consider differences in maximum subwoofer output capability above 80-90Hz and certainly not past 120Hz.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom