Which sub to replace a BK XXLS 400

DrH

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a BK XXLS400 sub which has been serving me well for 11 years.
I use it with an Antimode 8033C

I am pretty happy with it but It is now time to replace it.
However my room is pretty small at 5m x 2.3m x. 2.3m.
I have the BK in the front left corner, the sofa at the back wall at the other end which seems to work well.

I use it for movies and music in equal amounts so am looking for a sealed sub.

I have a budget in mind up to £1500
I like the look of the SVS subs so would the SB3000 be too much or just perfect?
Having my Kef’s in Gloss Black I would prefer a gloss black finish

The Arendal subs look good but I want to purchase from a dealer in the UK so they are not an option?

Thoughts?

Great to hear you stepping up, the final piece of puzzle!

Can`t see how it would be too much as you are in full control how loud it plays. People have larger dual sealed subs in similar small dedicated rooms in US. :) 2x 15" is quite the norm there, the real bassheads have something even more sicker. @Conrad here has 4x PSA S1500 (15") in similar room or smaller? I think he had 6x earlier. @Saul Goodman has dual PSA 18" in very small room too. Plenty examples..

AVO has few gloss black refurb products, the cheapest (1146£) has some tiny marks on top, but these 1214£ shouldn`t have as not mentioned and usually they are then 10/10 what members have reported.

Not sure why it would be issue to order from company straight though? 1723 1S would be great alternative which has SB4000 level of low end and superb dynamics. The narrow cab should fit nicely in that left corner.

REL HT/1508 Predator would be good alternative if ULF stuff isn`t must have, but only the top is gloss black. Ex-display model:

Last edited:
I know its not in budget, but I had a XXLS 400 for a couple of years, and went with a Rel S 8/12, I mainly use it for music, and a couple of hours per night with Netflix/Prime

Mate of mine will have 2 svs sb 2000 pro up for sale very soon like new 6 months old

Moved to a rel 212se for music and film. Amazing subwoofer

Why do you want to change your BK sub? In a small room the XLS400 should be more than enough. If not have you thought about a second XLS400.

Would the twin svs be any good for the poster?

I think he wants one sub so he would have them stacked which doesn´t look that good necessarily and he probably wants to buy full new or the refurb item which has full 5y warranty. Ask your friend to put them on the classifieds, he should get good price as they so new and due to SVS price hike also..
Why do you want to change your BK sub? In a small room the XLS400 should be more than enough. If not have you thought about a second XLS400.

XXLS400 might be enough for some and great budget option, but let`s not kid ourself the SB3000 / Arendal 1723 1S or similar priced product will be in different league. Like with higher cost speakers you tend to get better built quality with better cabinet structure, driver is so much more capable, lot beefier cooler running amp (BK 400/800w vs SVS 800/+2500w) and the technology is lot newer in SVS/Arendal compared to "old school" BK. :) Even the 700£ costing Arendal has been good upgrade from XXLS400 what some members have reported. So no, they aren´t snake oil.

I do like the XXLS 400 a lot to be fair.
I have upgraded everything else in the last few years so just the sub left. All the steps have been worthwhile.

I don’t think I need two subs in my small room.
Mostly just myself when watching films that need the low bass so only the MLP to worry about.

So I think a sub with more lower frequency capability is on my radar.

The 'more than enough' comment depends very much on the OP's desires in terms of bass extension and output level. I have a room with a fairly similar volume to the OP and it was a clear upgrade to go from a BK Monolith to a PSA S1510.

Last edited:
I have a BK XXLS400 sub which has been serving me well for 11 years.
I use it with an Antimode 8033C
Just to add to this thread, my trusty XLS400 (also running with an Antimode 8033)
gave up the ghost last week (started making alarming popping/cracking noises after
pushing it harder than usual while listening to 'bass heavy' music* in my home office)

After reading this thread, I was very tempted by the SB3000, but I got nervous after
reading reports of multiple driver failures on AVS, so I decided to play safe and get
the SB2000pro instead...

...what a revelation! :)

All I expected/wanted was a bit more headroom, but the SVS is much tighter
sounding than the BK which makes it sound like all the bass is coming from
the drivers of my main speakers, so I feel like I'm listening to extraordinarily
dynamic £10,000+ floorstanders rather than 'cheating' by using a sub!

I'm also impressed with the next day delivery service from AVO;
I ordered the SB2000 last Tuesday afternoon and it was with me
before 10am the next day.

*ironically the track which caused the meltdown wasn't heavy metal
or hardcore EDM - it was actually The Longships by Enya which has
some outrageously deep bass:

(the SB2000pro handles it with aplomb!)

Just to add to this thread, my trusty XLS400 (also running with an Antimode 8033)
gave up the ghost last week (started making alarming popping/cracking noises after
pushing it harder than usual while listening to 'bass heavy' music* in my home office)

After reading this thread, I was very tempted by the SB3000, but I got nervous after
reading reports of multiple driver failures on AVS, so I decided to play safe and get
the SB2000pro instead...

the drivers of my main speakers, so I feel like I'm listening to extraordinarily

Thanks for that insight

Did you get a replacement yet?

It usually takes me quite a few months to decide so not as yet

It usually takes me quite a few months to decide so not as yet
Thanks, I am also looking, 100% music though. I tried an SVS Micro and a REL T9x. The SVS was great, but you could tell it was there. The REL was tight and I only noticed it was doing its job once I removed it.

I fancy trying an Arendal 1961 1S and the XXLS4000 too, but that is less likely as I you can’t really get them on trial.

I believe Arendal offer home trial but the Arendal 1961 1s is out of stock until towards the end of the year according to Arendal's website.

Perhaps consider buying a second hand xls400 so that if you don't like it, you can sell it on without losing too much.

I believe Arendal offer home trial but the Arendal 1961 1s is out of stock until towards the end of the year according to Arendal's website.

Perhaps consider buying a second hand xls400 so that if you don't like it, you can sell it on without losing too much.
Thanks. Yes, I am trying to get hold
of a second hand one, but can‘t find one

the SB2000pro instead...

You should play Astronaut in the Ocean by Arem Ozguc, plenty of bass there.

I replaced my XXLS400 a couple of months ago with two SVS PB1000 Pro subs. It's more balanced, it's got sooo much more slam. Difference is night and day. I guess though a lot depends on room size.

I replaced my XXLS400 a couple of months ago with two SVS PB1000 Pro subs. It's more balanced, it's got sooo much more slam. Difference is night and day. I guess though a lot depends on room size.
Is this for music or cinema? I would expect paired subs to be much better anyway, but I thought the BK were meant to be more musical.

Is this for music or cinema? I would expect paired subs to be much better anyway, but I thought the BK were meant to be more musical.
im assuming cinema as i hear people saying more slam is usually better for movies, whereas more tightness is better for music.

So finally I have ordered a SVS SB3000 to replace my XXLS400.
Part exchanging the BK
My decision came down to how much of a bonus I am getting from work and hence decided my budget.
Hopefully will be available on Friday 😎

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom