Which sub should I buy??

Reaction score
Hi everyone, ;)

I'm looking to buy a subwoofer but I'm having a bit of a trouble in deciding which one would suit my needs the best. At the moment I made an offer on a Monolith DF here in the classifieds but I'm not sure if it was a good idea.

The size probably wouldn't be an issue but it's the fact that I'll be moving to a first floor apartment soon (neighbours!) which has an open plan kitchen and lounge (5m x 5m) with tiles on the floor that is complicating my decision.
I'm worried that such a beast would be really hard to isolate in a way that neighbours would "hardly" notice its existence. Also the lounge is not exactly huge so maybe a more unobtrusive model would look better in it. And my final concern is that great music performance it is to me a must so I'm not sure if the Monolith would give me that.

My 5.1 setup consists of a pair of MA BX5s, matching centre and BX FX as rears.

So the question is, would the Monolith be too much for my living room? If not what could I do to isolate it and keep the neighbours as happy as possible? If yes what other smaller and less powerful subs should I be looking at around the £300 mark and preferably second hand?

Many thanks :smashin:

Last edited:
Why would any sub be too much. When you install it and set it up it should be level matched with your speakers, so all subwoofers will play out at the exact same level, only the volume control will dictate how much it annoys the neighbours.

Why would any sub be too much. When you install it and set it up it should be level matched with your speakers, so all subwoofers will play out at the exact same level, only the volume control will dictate how much it annoys the neighbours.

I understand your point. The thing is I rather get something less obtrusive and easier to move around. Also a smaller sub would probably be sufficient and more musical than the giant Monolith. Also I was thinking of getting the Subdude from Auralex (which suits an average sized sub fine but not the Monolith) and place the sub on the top in order to achieve better isolation.
If there are better ways to achieve this I'm very open to ideas.

Thanks in advance for any helpful input :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The Monolith will give all that you need and more for music and films when setup correctly with your BX5's. You will not be disappointed.
If you have concerns about the size of the Mono ( it is a beast :D), consider the smaller XLS200 £315

I have one and it fill outs my room (5m x 5m) plenty. Music sounds great and films have that slam and shudder that makes you go 'WOA!!'.

Unless you end up with neighbours that complains even if a cat purrs, I agree with Moonfly, Its the idiot with the volume control that upsets the neighbours which i've been guilty of few times myself :blush:. I just couldn't stop myself, the film and sound told me to do it :D. Fortunately, i have good and understanding neighbours, but you know when you've gone to far.

Since you will be on the 1st floor, I reckon a FF sub will be better for the envroinment than a DF sub. If anything, it will help with lessening the effect on the neighbours below and the chances of them complaining. How much will depend how crazy you go with the volume control:laugh:

Last edited:
The thing is I rather get something less obtrusive and easier to move around.
This is a valid reason to choose a lesser sub.

Also a smaller sub would probably be sufficient and more musical than the giant Monolith.
A better sub is better period. Musicality is as much about preference as a particular subs design. The Monolith would be working less hard than an inferior sub so will remain clearer and cleaner. The idea smaller drivers are more musical is misguided.

Also I was thinking of getting the Subdude from Auralex (which suits an average sized sub fine but not the Monolith) and place the sub on the top in order to achieve better isolation.
Again, this is a more sensible reason not to buy the Monolith.

Thanx a lot guys. You've been very helpful so far. I'm now leaning towards the XXLS400 or any comparable model from other brands, especially REL as they are easier to find second hand and I'm trying to save some money. Which models should I be looking at?

Cheers ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom