Which Sub Sat system

Lakes_Puma

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my existing speakers to appease my long-suffering wife.

I currently have a pair of Tannoy M3’s with a Tannoy MC and a pair of Mission 77DS’s for rear (placed behind the listening position)

I am interested in a good quality Sub/Sat system that I can wall mount all the sats, possibly with the front around a wall mounted LCD/Plasma screen.

I want to audition the B&W MT-30 but would like to have suggestions of other systems, budget up to £1500.

At this budget would it be worth auditioning the M&K range (I think they do a ‘budget’ system within this price)

All help and advice will be greatly received.

Lakes Puma

Lots of manufacturers vying for your cash.

The B&W MT30 is a nice system and has 'the looks'.

Another firm favourite is the Anthony Gallo A'Diva - with a TR-1 sub you can put together a system within your price range.

Gallo have the NEW Micro & A'Diva 'Ti' on the way for later this summer and first reports are very promising - just outside your price range but worth considering.

Best regards

Joe

Lakes Puma,

Look at the M&K K series for the satellites especially if movies is your main priority, but look elsewhere for the subwoofer. SVS, Velodyne and maybe B&W depending on budget/aesthetics/size constraints.

Other speaker manufacturers to consider if aesthetics and size are issues would be Monitor Audio (Radius range) and Tannoy Arena. I haven't heard the Tannoys, but I like their styling and they are getting good press. :)

Hi Lakes Puma,

The KEF KHT5005 system would be well worth a demo IMHO :smashin:

Best Regards,

Stan.

Cheers guys, thanks for your input.

My main concern is movies. and am not 'too' fussed about looks, priority is great sound first looks second

Ok, if you're not concerned about looks, and movies are your main priority, definitely look at M&K's K series. Partner them with a good subwoofer and a decent receiver/amp from the likes of NAD or Rotel and you'll be on the right track. :)

which sub would you recommend?

Lakes_Puma said:
which sub would you recommend?

Any budget, finish and size constraints?

I like my REL Q150E, butt ugly but bonedry bass down to 19 Hz, and lots of it, in a very small box.

Barend said:
I like my REL Q150E, butt ugly but bonedry bass down to 19 Hz, and lots of it, in a very small box.

:rotfl:

budget would be around the same as the M&K one so about £700, size would be preferrable small(ish).

Cheers

Lakes_Puma said:
budget would be around the same as the M&K one so about £700, size would be preferrable small(ish).

Cheers
B&W asw675 is one of the best compact subs ive owned that would complement the m&ks other wise svs 20-39 pc+ which is quite a bit bigger but will really rock your boat with music and movies a great sub for the money.

I was gonna say the Tannoys too. Honestly I could not believe how well they played, straight out of the box with no run in time. Great lookers, loads of finishes available, and they sound like Tannoy speakers should.

Gallo are another firm favorite, would have to be micros on £1500. Have you considered in-wall speakers? Gonna be more expensive to install but they're the ultimate in discrete and you can get away with putting in some quite big drivers. Coupla three or so in the ceilings at the back and you're away!

Lakes_Puma said:
I am looking to replace my existing speakers to appease my long-suffering wife.

So you've decided that introducing a subwoofer into her living-room is going to do the trick? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Barend said:
bonedry bass down to 19 Hz, and lots of it.

Downhill with a following wind and even so I still doubt whether it would produce bass down to 19 Hz or bonedry bass under 35Hz either.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom