1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which sub is a good fit ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by empirix, Jul 5, 2005.

1. empirix

empirix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 5 x Anthony Gallo Micros powered by a Yamaha RXV450. I'm looking for a sub that will fit in nicely ...

I have heard the Gallo subs aren't that good (but look very nice !)

Although the new one is meant to be much better ... any suggestions please ?

2. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Empirix, have you bought the Micros already?

If not, then remember that buying the Gallo package effectively means you get the TR2 subwoofer for half-price at £300. This is a bargain.

I too had ruled out the Gallo subs, but I'm glad I demo-ed because the TR2 is a superb subwoofer and one of the best I have ever heard (better than the small subs from M&K, Velodyne and REL for instance). It integrates with the Micros like a dream and slams out deep, tight, musical bass like I didn't expect. It's relatively easy to generate deep bass to make movies sound good - its an altogether different art to cope with music where everything must be well integrated and fast.

I think the myth that the Gallo subs are poor may have more to do with people ignoring music (you will be listening to music as well as movies I presume?), boosting their own profit and because of a couple of bad reports of the old Gallo sub (although at the very same time, there were also published reviews which said the complete opposite...).

All I can recommend is get a demo rather than choosing on hearsay. You may not be that bowled over by the looks or sound of the Gallo Micros/Sub anyway (lets put it this way - the Gallos don't look bad, but they don't look like the photoshoots either!).