1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Sub for VM1'S for around 350 quid

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ELV, Jul 31, 2003.

1. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Iv'e got some VM1's and a wooly Jamo sw400 sub on a wooden floor, can anyone reccomend a sub for around 350-400 quid and should'nt be to big, i'm more intrested in the bass being tight rather than deep but both would be nice, i like the look of the quake,ie-small and nicely finished but i was wondering what you people have all got?
    Iv'e done a search but can't really find the answer, is the B&w sub that normally comes with the system underpowered as iv'e heard comments say?My rooms about 13 ft wide and 20ft long with all wooden floor and a 3ft gap underneath, iv'e used an isolation slab on the Jamo but the sub is so wooly that i have'nt heard to much improvement.

Cheers.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My own favourite in the compact sub class is the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 which has been awarded five stars by just about every magazine that has tested it.

It is a lovely little sub with tight musical bass and INHO is better than the REL Quake.

3. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers, i'll have a look on the net for some info.

4. binky

binky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got VM1s with a Quake.

I haven't heard the MJ, but am very pleased with the sound from the Quake - much better I thought than the partnered AS1 from B&W.

My room is about 18ft by about 14ft, and the Quake output is more than sufficient for me...

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you're looking at the MJA Pro 50 you might as well get the Reference 100 - it is within your budget and well worth the extra cost, IMHO. It has the same form factor but incorporates a more powerful amp, sturdier feet, a better drive unit and digital crossover display.

Personally I think the current outstanding bargain as far as compact subs goes is the BK Electronics XLS-200, but you may not want to buy without a demo.

Look out for a secondhand B&W ASW675 - that would suit your needs nicely as well.

MuFu.