Which Sub for £500?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by NeoBlade, Aug 29, 2002.

1. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to ask these questions but I'm a bit miffed atm. I asked a dealer about the Paradigm Servo 15's and he said that its not worth testing since its basically a lot of noise and nothing else... My budget is at around £500 but I can stretch that to £650 if needed. Having a look at the latest mags the B&W sub looks nice (I have B&W speakers) but I don't mind about brands names, just performance for my budget.

The reviews on this site isn't that detailed on subs so if anyone could recommend a decent subwoofer for my budget I'd be very greatful ^_^

Thanks in advance.

2. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    If you can stretch to the £684, i'm sure a lot of people would agree that a CHT-15 on the powerbuys would not dissapoint...

3. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Indeed.:) Got one of these myself and its superb. Zero boom, just tight, clean bass. Well worth considering.

4. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or just go for the CHT10 for £325 and bank the rest :D

5. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nice to hear balanced and intelligent comments from dealers! I mean, what a prat, slagging off a renowned product just because he doesn't sell it - he should be strung up then sent off to work in Powerhouse for eternity.

I know there have been question marks of the reliability of the UK Servo 15s but, when it is working properly it is a very good piece of kit - read the independent reviews of it (links on Paradigms website) - in fact print them off and send them to that dealer!

If I were you I'd either go for the Servo 15 or the power buy Velodyne CHT15.

Matt.

6. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply guys ^_^ I was reading quite a long thread about subs on this forum a week or so back and the Servo 15's were regarded quite well by a few people, and I'm in no situation to dispute it! lol Still, it was odd since the bloke seemed to know a lot about everything else and matched my knowledge on AV.

£684 is a fair bit for me (student) but since its on the power buys then it must be pretty decent ^_- My philosophy is to invest in products that will last a few years, and hopefully this sub will be no different. Is there any more info on this sub? I'm about to pop over to the power buys link now to see what's involved in terms of payment etc...

Thanks again ^_^

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Nice post Matt, unfortunately this is all to common, whether here on the forum or at dealers. People slagging off kit because they sell the competition and should be adopting a no comment policy on 'ethical' grounds (bias and all that) or people justifying their (foolish?) purchases and commenting on other kit they have NEVER heard. It saddens me this happens.:mad:

It wouldn't be too bad if people got good INDEPENDENT advice, but rarely does this happen.:(