Which sub-£500 stereo amp for Q Acoustics 3050?

anlygi

After moving my surround system to another room and wanting to free up some space, I am going to replace my QA 3050 front LR with 3020's. I have always felt the 3050 were a bit wasted in a home cinema setup and my Denon AVR-X2400 has always been lacking in the stereo department.

SO, I am going to put the 3050 back into the lounge in a stereo setup and unsure which amp to go for? I'm drawn to the Denon PMA800NE and the Marantz PM6007, but is there something else I should be considering, a Yamaha or Cambridge Audio maybe? Are my choices a bit too good for the 3050, wasting money, or will they be a good match? Last thing I want is to feel the speakers aren't good enough for the amp and spend more money replacing the 3050! Available from Richer Sounds is a must as they're 3 miles from me and I would like to demo the options. That said, I don't mind ordering online to try at home if there's something else they don't stock.

Sources will mainly be Spotify and phono so I'd want a built-in phono stage and I mostly listen to electronic music, techno and classic progressive house, but I listen to some rock and indie on the odd occasion and my wife will no doubt use it too. I also have a large part of my vinyl and some CDs ripped to FLAC. Spotify Connect would be nice, but this seems a rarity in stereo amps? CD will never be something I go back to at this point.

Thanks.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’d consider the RA-11 Rotel too.

It has a good phono stage and Bluetooth.

Also, an excellent power supply, plenty of current and will happily drive a speaker upgrade too, should you ever decide to do that.

And, it has very good damping control which will suit the sometimes rather rotund nature of the QA’s bass.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Ps, the price of ‘budget’ amplifiers has rocketed in the last couple of years. I’d suggest buying used.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
I would recommend the yamaha as501, but it has no streaming. I had the q3050s paired with mine, till I got new speakers. However, as @Paul7777x said, amps have gone up, as mine was about £350 I think when I got it, and now its £470.

To be honest, I would get a non streaming amp and just add a raspberry pi (either with a USB dac or get a hat which either outputs digital if the amp you choose has a built in dac or a dac hat if it doesnt) which can stream your flacs and can run spotify connect (picoreplayer would be ideal as it can come act as your music server and streamer).

anlygi

Thanks chaps. A few options to consider. I'll see if I could demo the Rotel and Yamaha as well. I'd noticed price increases myself, as before the room move I was looking to upgrade my x2400 to one with pre-outs and add a stereo amp.

Andym32

Standard Member
I have and love the 800ne, it drives my Dali Oberon 5s very well, just over a quarter volume is quite loud, I use it in analog mode as I only listen to vinyl, nice punchy sound, great dynamics.

Helix Hifi

I had horrible experience with the Rotel RA1572MK2. Two amplifiers started acting strange.
Bluetooth issues, no sound. It just cuts the sound. An audible click streaming music using the onboard DAC. Real shame because the sound is very good. I’ve could have been very, very unlucky. Every manufacturer can have problems.

If you want an amplifier with streaming I would put the new Powernode from Bluesound on the list. It has bass management.
The Node streamers, I’ve had trough the years have been very stable. No software issues. I believe then their amplifiers is suitable then also.

Marantz I’ve have no nothing but praise. Their amplifiers is top notch. Owned few of their budget amplifiers, but mostly the high end series. No problems. So see if you like the PM6007.

Helix Hifi

If you pull the trigger on getting the Rotel amplifier, I would check and see if Bluetooth is stable.

Better option is to buy an amplifier with streaming or no streaming, then add the Node N130.

This unit has Bluetooth. In my view this better idea, design wise.

Bluetooth on Rotel is odd, at least on the amplifier I had .You need to restart Bluetooth every time you switch source. From cd to aux. The sound might crackle the first two seconds of each song too.

Node lighting fast Bluetooth connection wins every time.

But enough Rotel criticism. See if you like Rotel, then buy it. The reviews are stunning. It is also tuned by Marantz guru, Kenny Ishiwata. The best of both worlds. Rotel dynamics, Marantz musical sound.

muljao

The speakers are fab. The better the amp the better they will perform. I have a marantz and it's great, I can imagine the Denon you mentioned being good too

Helix Hifi

Marantz is beautiful. Didn’t know I would miss it so much. Wonderful airy vocals.

Helix Hifi

Yamaha as201 with Wiimi streamer.

Helix Hifi

100 watts from Yamaha is more then enough to rock the QA speakers.

Helix Hifi

Oh, I don’t know if it supports pre outs.

Helix Hifi

AXR85 from Cambridge.

Helix Hifi

It can be wise saving up some money up to 1000-1200 pound. Or save a lot of money simply by adjusting the speakers.

Try having them 20-70 cm from the back walls. 2 meters distance between them. You never know if this is a better the solution. Then explore other amplifiers later.

Still better amplifier we’ll make the speakers sound more engaging, enjoyable.

More depth, air. The trick is to not hear the speakers at all this can be done with the correct amplifier, speaker placement.

anlygi

Thanks, I still haven't got around to demoing anything yet! I was also considering throwing the Yamaha R-N602 into the mix due to its streaming features as that will in reality make up most of my listening. I noticed its little brother the 303D also has them, its more powerful (100w PC vs 80w PC on the 606), newer and has DAB, but I'd gladly opt for the 606 if it's a step up in audio quality. DAB is a moot point really as I only ever listen to broadcast radio in the car sometimes. How many amps would would be reasonable to demo?!

Ascotbilly

I had the RN602, a very nice amp and the streaming system just works 100%. It has a decent phono stage, not sure if the 303D does so worth checking

nadg63

Not 3050's but in my HT room I have QA 2050i's as my fronts, (along with 4x 2020's and a 2000 centre). I have just upgraded my receiver from a basic Yamaha RX-V583 to a Marantz SR7011 and have found the 2050's seem to be much punchier now - due I'm guessing to the higher output levels of the Marantz.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom