1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which sub £500 DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Colin Parker, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Colin Parker

Colin Parker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £500 to spend on a DVD player. Thinking of the Pioneer 575 at the moment. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Col.

2. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon 2200 will roast the Pioneer 575 (im in the market and have demo'ed both) Its available from sevenoaks for £400 but it will be cheaper elsewhere on the t'internet.

3. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433

The 575 can be had for £120, so I don't understand the question regarding a budget of £500.

5. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    astirling

I'm also interested in the Pioneer 757Ai could you please tell me if yours is a multi region player and where you got it from.

The ones on your link say they will play region 1 and 2 only as I have quite a few region 3 and 4 discs I was wondering if your machine is fully multiregion or just 1 and 2.

Cheers

Toonarmy

6. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I cant agree I have had both on my plasma and via component they are both stunning and one was £129 and one was around the £400 mark. Could not fault the picture quality on either and as long as you dont aim to sit on the Pioneer the lack of build quality should not be a problem.

7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    so you are saying the 575 is just as good as the 2200? what about SACD/DVD-A/CD playback?

8. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It was a 2900 not 2200. It's a friends machine. They both sound great on sacd but the Denon was little more bassy? Cant say it bothered either of us that much in the difference in pq or any any other aspect of the machine (the Denon was from Hong Kong and cost the lucky bu**er around £220!!).

The Pioneer is built of yoghurt pots though, so dont sit on it or play ping pong with it :lesson:

For £129 the pq is stunning though! :clap:

9. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe it might be of interest:

Quite a few people I know think Sub £500 DVD player is nonsense.
    Either Sub £200 or > 1k.

If you talk about RRP here I pretty agree.

10. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I agree. I would like the Denon 3900 but cannot justify the price for the gain in pq and sacd playback quality I only have 2 sacd's and cannot see me becoming as a collector .......yet . :rolleyes:
    My next purchase of any note will be a scaler and that will be a good 18 month away and I would imagine a new dvd player will be installed around the same time with HD in mind. That's why I think DVD players are such a poor investment due to quickly changing specs etc. Also all these little niggles with the Denon kit is not good it puts me off major outlay I would be catatonic if my £800 play did not "do what it says on the tin" to coin a phrase.

11. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    After having problems with two 575's i have a Denon 2910 on order, the build quality of the unit is terrible.

I know its cheap for what it offers both in terms of picture, sound and features but i would have rather paid another £150 for the pioneer and not have had to send two units back.

In reality i don't think the 575 will be a machine that will last too many years before you change it

12. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No problems with mine so far. But for the £129 two years will be great value. After 2 years we will see new models surpass the current < £200 by a country mile.

13. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Perhaps i was just unlucky, however i decided that as i will have a plasma with HDMI/DVI (probably Pioneer ironically) in the next year or so the upgrade was worth the money.

For the money the 575 is excellent, just don't expect a build quality to match the brands usual reputation

14. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Pioneer are on a very fine line between undermining their more expensive product with HDMI/DVI and capturing the mass market. The next 575 type will I think make even greater inroads into the HDMI/DVI market and all for around £150-175 price point within 12 month IMHO.

15. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm sorry I can't help you as I don't have any region 3 or 4 discs. It automatically and invisibly selects the region so there's no onscreen indicator.
    I purchased mine from sound and vision though and I received excellent service from them. I ordered online on the Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon I received a call thanking me for my order and checking to see if I would be in on the Tuesday for delivery.