Which streamers have full BD ISO and 3.5" ?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Jon Read, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Jon Read

Jon Read

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have such a headache, so many streamers out there. Can anyone give me advice on which unit to choose that has full blu-ray ISO (so full menus as though playing the actual discs) and also space for a 3.5" internal drive, preferably with an easy way to update the contents on it. It will be mainly used for MKV, DVD ISO and BD ISO, with XVIDS.

I did want an RF remote but only the £300 Popcorns seem to have that for some reason. I could maybe afford that and I hear a C-300 is out soon too. But I am putting less importance on an RF, that would be a bonus though, but if there is a £100 difference it is not worth that amount.

Any advice ? They seem to range from £30 up to £350, makes it hard to know what to do for.

Do any of these players have a PS3 style search ? Where you get a thumbnail up and can change the display from 15 seconds up to a few minutes on each video file. If only the PS3 would play more formats without needing the PC to do the leg work.

Also finally, do any of these players have an option where the next video file played keeps the same audio channel ? I love commentaries and I have a lot of MP4 and AVI files that I made that come with the commentary as track 2, as per usual. However, in most players when it automatically goes on to the next video file it swaps straight back to track 1. When trying to listen to about 20x 20 minute shows during an afternoon with commentary on, especially when in the background while doing other things, it can be annoying to change the track every time. No big deal if not, just wondered.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. Stu_M3

Stu_M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    It would be worth looking at the Dune range.
    Full HD Players » Dune HD GmbH

Sorry, I can't answer all of your questions, but the Smart Series (£200 ish), the Duo (£300 ish) and Max (£370 ish) will all play Blu-ray ISO's and give you the full menu. You'll get decent support for most other formats too. They all take internal 3.5" drives. the Smart series you would want the D1 (has an LCD display and takes an internal HDD) or the H1 (No LCD but has a hot-swap drive bay).

You'll get an IR remote but there is an optional bluetooth keyboard you can add on (£60 ish) or you can use the iPad/iPhone app.

I don't own one of these units (yet) but likely to buy one or more in the next couple of weeks. They are well talked about on these forums.

You won't get the nice PS3 wall you are hoping for, but the Zapitti movie wall that the Dune's support looks superb :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    The My Movies movie wall isnt bad either, and if you need to rip the content too, its an all in one package. It has a more integrated ipad app where it will show the thumbnails like ibooks on a shelf, press select and then play, it'll tell the Dune (or HTPC) to play that title

The H1 is £179, D1 is £209. If you need a couple drives then the Duo at £299 can house 2 at a time (with hot swap), or you can tag on a HE module to the smart d1 or h1 for an additional drive.

if you dont need a bd drive then you dont need the max

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    AFAIK other than the very good Dune media players the PCH C-200/C-300 are the only other players with a full BluRay license at the moment.

Mark.