Which streamer to upgrade to

Purbs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I currently use Sonos around the house, which I’m very happy with, but would like to upgrade to a dedicated streamer for my main setup, currently:

Sonos Connect (Tidal Hifi / CDs on NAS)
Arcam irDAC
Arcam A19
B&W 707
REL TZERO

Is there something that would give me access to the high res content on Tidal +/- replace the irDAC (I still intend to use Sonos some of the time), or is the irDAC likely to improve the sound from most dedicated streamers available < £1000?

Thanks,

Rob.

Thanks.

I’m interested to hear some opinions re how the irDAC would compare to, say, the DAC in a CDS50 or Audiolab 6000N. Would it be redundant or still likely enhance the sound?

Thanks.

I’m interested to hear some opinions re how the irDAC would compare to, say, the DAC in a CDS50 or Audiolab 6000N. Would it be redundant or still likely enhance the sound?

I would imagine there would be barely anything in it due to the respectie price points. Its a side step rather than an upgrade stride.

The IRDAC is a budget unit, easily bettered, if you have a grand plus, then investigate Lumin.

Second hand linn MDS?

Thanks all. I appreciate the logic re sideways move vs true upgrade.

I've tried to upgrade and simplify things and have a Naim Uniti Atom on trial, which is lovely to use and sounds great with my existing speakers and subwoofer.

Looking forward to trying native Qobuz (Hi Res) next week versus Tidal.

Seeing that you like Arcam why not grab a Arcam Rplay. This will do the job and they are cheap as no longer made. Still some new ones around though.

If you’re thinking of spending money, I’d upgrade the amp before a streamer.

The 707s have a pretty difficult 84dB sensitivity and hit 4Ohms readily.

They’ve probably got a bit more to show than the A19 quite allows for.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom