• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which Streamer to replace ATV3

ndk0

Standard Member
So I bought an Apple TV 3 hoping that a jailbreak would be forthcoming to install XBMC. Obviously this never came and I have struggled onwards converting old home movies and dvd backups to an itunes friendly media format.
The time has now come to purchase a new media streamer and would like some opinions on what is "the best" streamer around sub £100 or so. Not too bothered about 3d but would like true HD audio output and the ability to play as many media formats as possible in 1080p resolution. I have a wired 1gb network to stream the media from my media server. I have been looking at the WDTV, Medi8er 400sx, plus different popcorn and the Dune models but would like to hear from people who have used them and what niggles/issues people may have.

next010

Distinguished Member
Probably the Mede8er for a base media player that handles 3D and HD audio. That or the more expensive Popcornhour A400. Both actually resemble XBMC a little.

For actual XBMC the Pivos XIOS DS set top box, but no HD audio pass-through only Dobly/DTS 5.1. Support for 3D and HD audio are on the cards but very far down the to do list.

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
only the wd tv live, mde400x2s and the popbox are sub £100. popbox only down mixes hd sound, not sure about wdtv but the med400 has passthrough for hd audio

next010

Distinguished Member
Your going to hard pressed to find something at that low price range and is well supported. WDTV Live has TrueHD pass-through but no DTS-MA if you can live with just regular DTS.

Popbox & Boxee are both dead dont bother with them.

ndk0

Standard Member
OK, so if I increase the budget by an extra £60- £70 (and risk the wrath of swmbo) would that be enough for something decent, or am I still some way off?

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
the "best" streamer if you need full bd menu is the Dune HD Smart series and also probably supports the most formats. The cheapest in the range is the H1 at around £175 upwards.

in my opinion, the MED600 is probably a good sweet spot between price and functionality at around £120

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
are you referring to Cloud Media?

Syabas are in the process of rebranding themselves. They are dropping the name Syabas and rebranding as Cloud Media.

The change of domains may be in a state of flux. As far as I am aware the popbox V8 is still an active product.

ndk0

Standard Member
I'm gong to choose the Medi8er, good reviews on the forums with what looks like good firmware updates. Just got to decide which one the 400 or the 600.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom