Which Streamer advie

Dazo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I appreciate their are likely loads of threads asking similar questions but would appreciate your advice for audio streaming newbie. I am looking for a device/s that will allow me to stream music to from a WD Mybok World edition. I am assuming it needs to be UPNP/DLNA compatible. I am not a audiophile in any way so it does not have to be high end equipment, I am more than happy with MP3's. It needs to come with built in speakers.

thanks for any suggestions if such a device exists. :smashin:

Last edited:
that should obviously read Advice in the thread title.

Sonos S5 or possibly PURE AVANTI Flow Table-top, there's next to no end-user feedback on the forum with the Pure mind.

Last edited:
Had a look at the Sonos S5 but could did not find anything definite which said it could read from a NAS. I assume you know it can do this ? and more specifically it can do it from a WD Mybook world ?

Also any chance you can change the type in the thread title. :blush: ;)

For sure, Sonos is one of least demanding streamers regarding NAS. It doesn't use UPnP/DLNA but relies on the file share (CIFS protocol) which every streamer provides.

Logitech squeezebox radio? Easy to use and pretty cheap found the software easier to use than Sonos and OpenGL on iPhone/iPad is ace

The WD Mybook can't run the Squeezebox software, but I'm sure I've read that the WD is compatible with Sonos. Best check for yourself before laying down a wad though.

I run a sonos network off the same nas as u and it works fine. Include a zone bridge (70s quid new) in your budget if ur wireless router is not in the same room as where the s5 will be.

Thanks for the replies.

I did look at the squeezebox but as others have said the WD does not run the server software.

I assume the sonos has to be hard wired into the router and if not you have to buy the bridge?

Cheers Darkmavis.
It doesn't look particularly straightforward and it looks a bit slow, but it appears to be do-able.

Food for thought I guess :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom