1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which storage to go for?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Zig, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Fuji S7000 on the way and the 16 MB XD card is looking very inadaquate. I need some advise on which format is the best. IBM 1GB microdrive has plenty of space but would appear to be the most unreliable. Compact flash and XD seem to be very similar except in price. Speed is of course a major factor, the quickest, most reliable option is what I would like.
    I reckon on at least 256MB storage and hope someone can point me in the right direction. :confused:

2. charlie29rob

charlie29rob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bit confusing Zig - you talk of XD cards and then talk of storage -- are you proposing to store all your photo's on XD cards forever ????, I would of thought most people store their photo's on their PC or archived to CD or DVD, or even on a dedicated external HDD and only use the XD card to take and keep the photographs on until they get back home, by all means get the biggest XD/compactflash card you can afford and will fit your camera you may well need it's resource if you go off on holiday but not for long term storage.

4. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to of confused you :eek:
    I do not intend to store my pictures permanantly on flash memory, it would surely be an expensive and unflexable idea and a 256mb card, the size which I stated that I was considering wouldn't last long unless using the camera at a very low resolution.
    I merely wanted to gain some knowledge of the speed and reliability of the different formats, I stated that these were the most important considerations rather than outright size.
    I have since discovered that the XD card seems to offer significant gains in this department with this camera so I think that I will be opting for that media.
    Thanks for your input.

5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at the spec for the S7000 it looks like you will get 160 pictures on a 256Mb XD card at maximum resolution which would be more than enough for most people - you may need a second on holiday or adventure trip but £31 is hardly a fortune.

6. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know the S7000 ability to utilise the second chip allowing it to give a supposed 12mp output is only available with the XD cards. However in most places the price of XD cards is almost double the CF prices!