Which Stewart?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dazca1, Oct 2, 2004.

1. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Which is the best Firehawk or Studiotek 130 ???
    Everyone seems to be rattling on about grey screens lately (been asking questions myself) but are they the best for the job or just a new fad.
    Which is the best out of these 2 beautys

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Well, I don't think that's a truly answerable question as your choice of screen depends on your projector and the environment in which you will viewing it.

With ambient light in the room, Firehawk is probably best.

My feeling is that the 130 is more future proofed. When you have that perfect projector and perfect room it will be the better screen.

But, the Firehawk maybe the better option now as it helps boost contrast and black level at the expense of viewing angle, potential hot spotting and neutrality.

For what its worth, I bought a Stewart Grayhawk a few years ago thinking it would be the last screen I'd ever need to buy. I was wrong.
    As projector technology moves on, the need for contrast boosting screens diminishes... and they introduce compromises, even Stewart ones!

It maybe not be the 'perfect' screen for your present circumstances (still pretty great though, obviously), but I'd get a 130 and benefit from future PJ upgrades.

3. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for that, sounds good to me.

Keep em coming

4. ETHOS

ETHOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading with interest the various threads on this site and find them, for the most part, very informative. I am, unashamedly, a novice when it comes to this stuff. This is my first home theater setup and first ever post to this site.

I have, after much research, purchased, installed and/or ordered the following equipment: Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi, Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi, and have on order the HS51. The theater room has no ambient light issues and is 14'-8" x 19'-2" (17'-3" lens to projector). Fixed screen size selected is 110". I have selected the Stewart Luxus Deluxe ScreenWall and only one decision is left, screen material. SONY announced, and has started taking orders, on their web site yesterday and posted their 'official specs' on the HS51. Knowing what is known today, and I understand there has been no beta testing, what screen material between the following two should I select? FireHawk v. StudioTek 130. I need to 'bite the bullet' and get it done. My AV consultant recommends the StudioTek 130 and Stewart recommends the FireHawk.

Thanks

5. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I suggest you read the hs51 thread over on avs, as the americans have access to both, and may well have dealt with this very question

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    Hey why not really confuse matters...have you thought about Greyhawk SR?..........

It's the reference grey Stewart material that Joe Kane asked them to develop for them....sort of like a Greyhawk equivalent to Studiotek 130.

Seriously though. You need to consider the size of the screen and the light output of the PJ and the environemnt you will be watching in

Gordon

Gordon