Answered Which Step Down Transformer??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Wavod, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Wavod

Wavod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi you helpful guys/girls.
    I am awaiting delivery of a Technics SL-P1200 CD player from the USA, so am looking for a Step Down Transformer (240v to 120v).
    Power: AC 60Hz - 120V - 29W.
    I have heard transformers can be electrically noisy, so am looking for something that will not affect the sound as it would defeat the object of having a Pro CD player so quieter the better!!
    Not looking to spend a fortune because I need to have the laser unit replaced as well, so factoring in the price I paid for the player as well I don't want to outprice any value it might be worth :facepalm:
    Any help gratefully received.........

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by dannnielll, Aug 21, 2018 (1 points)
  3. Spyro

Spyro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I've used one of these with an early Panasonic US R1 DVD player although it was 120v 50/60Hz capable. I think the problem might be the 60Hz if the Technics isn't dual frequency?
    upload_2018-8-21_18-47-41.png

4. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Best Answer
    The 60 Hz frequency as used in the USA used to be a big problem in the era of mains motors on tape recorders and record decks because the speed on the drives would be 20% slower when played in Europe. Nowadays with DC and quartz crystal stablised motor speeds it is no longer a problem.
    There is however one subtle problem remaining.. the us market can get away with using smaller transformers with less iron and less copper, because the frequency is higher. They can also get away with using smaller capacitance in the power supply. The effect is that the transformer will be a bit hotter when used in Europe,and hum might be marginally worse. .. it should not affect a CD player, but could affect an amplifier.
    Use any of the 100va plus trafos as listed and they should be ok...

5. Wavod

Wavod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Thanks for your post Spyro. Unfortunately the SL-P1200 is 60Hz only, not dual frequency.