Which standard blu-rays that are less likely to ever get a 4K transfer are worth getting for exceptional A/V?

NatureFriends

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi A/V fans.

My whole collection consists of 4K with some standard blu-rays that came as part of the purchase and I am very hesitant to buy standard blu-rays in case the film gets a 4K transfer fairly soon or even within the next couple years.

What are examples of standout Blu-ray Discs that are in your “must-own“ category that there is either a virtual or literal guarantee will likely never get a 4K transfer, at least not in the coming year or so?

I’m looking for something especially with exceptional and immersive sound quality while obviously picture quality should also be on the high end. Also, some films that likely wouldn’t get much of an upgrade even if they were released in 4K someday perhaps due to limitations to how they were filmed.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Are you interested more in 'immersive sound' and 'high-end picture' than you are in how good the movie is? Genre preference?

Thriller: Crimson Tide, The Fugitive.
Dramedy: Anything Wes Anderson. The Grand Budapest Hotel is a favourite and visually wonderful.
Action: Under Siege, Demolition Man, Terminator, True Lies.

Hey.

I wouldn’t want to buy a terrible movie so that would be important but even a slightly better than average movie with exceptional sound and video that is very unlikely to either ever come to 4K blu-ray or probably not for a very long time.

As for genres, I’m not a fan of gory horror or horror in general (although something like The Terminator or 10 Cloverfield Lane are considered horror and I like them). Anything comedy, drama, sci-fi , swashbuckling action and something that can help get that immersive theater-like experience would be ideal.

Very pleased with the 101 film limited edition blurays of Phase IV and Screamers. As good as those cult sci-fi films are ever going to look picture/sound wise with great extras.

Tron: Legacy is an exceptional blu-ray disc for picture and sound and certainly ticks the immersive experience you are after, plus it's a good film.

As it's a Disney title, a 4k transfer is unlikely as it would have been a 2k DI so it would likely be an upscale. HDR would make a big difference though if it were to happen.

It retains the IMAX scenes which are quite spectacular. There is a lot more detail and because it's full screen, scale and immersion are really impressive.

The soundtrack is also demo worthy with an excellent score by Daft Punk. It is a full on assault of the senses with an expansive soundstage that really comes alive during the action sequences.

It was and still is a reference disc.

Tron: Legacy is an exceptional blu-ray disc for picture and sound and certainly ticks the immersive experience you are after, plus it's a good film.

As it's a Disney title, a 4k transfer is unlikely as it would have been a 2k DI so it would likely be an upscale. HDR would make a big difference though if it were to happen.

It retains the IMAX scenes which are quite spectacular. There is a lot more detail and because it's full screen, scale and immersion are really impressive.

The soundtrack is also demo worthy with an excellent score by Daft Punk. It is a full on assault of the senses with an expansive soundstage that really comes alive during the action sequences.

It was and still is a reference disc.
It is a good film, if you check out the technical specs you'll find out it's not Real IMAX but Faux IMAX... It was filmed at 1:78 then matted down to 2:35 for some scenes, so if you ever want to catch the full version it's shown on TV in its original unmatted 1:78 full screen glory; pity Disney chose this film to IMAX on disc and not the Marvel films which are real IMAX.

Rango - one of the best animated blu-rays going.

BFI 4K remaster (normal blu-ray) of Mike Leigh's 'Naked' is great PQ and deffo not getting a 4K disc (I've enquired).

Book of Eli has great PQ and sound. Doubt it'll get a 4K version (would love one though).

51st State (Formula 51) is one I'd like to see transferred to blu-ray let alone 4k. I read about 1080p version for the film, but it gets very poor reviews from people who have purchased it for its video quality saying it's no better than SD. It was one of the first DVD's I ever bought and it's just nostalgia, but I did enjoy it!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom