Question Which splitter for HDMI out to 2 displays?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by wonderer, Jun 12, 2015.

1. wonderer

wonderer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Hi all

After confusing myself no end and buying two cheap Amazon splitters that didnt work I have resigned myself to needing help. Its a problem that sounds pretty simple.......and probably is!

I have an LG home theatre system which has my ps4, Freesat etc running through it. It has a single HDMI OUT socket and I want/desperately need a splitter or whatever it may be called to connect the HDMI out to both a tv and my projector. At the moment I have to keep swapping HDMI cables each time I go from watching casual tv to movie time and I am worried I am going to knacker the HDMI port on the back of the HT.

As mentioned I have bought a couple of cheapies from Amazon but I have a feeling they were for two sources into a single input? I dunno.

HELP!!! :D

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Splitter is the correct term

Rule 1 - make sure it is independently powered

Rule 2 - don't never ever hot plug hdmi cables , everything should be switched off before removing and connecting hdmi cables

Rule 3 - ensure that both displays can handle the same resolution

3. diablo

diablo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I use one of these, which has two amplified channels for output, though four inputs (which suits my needs but probably not yours). Operates by remote control obviously - I use my Harmony remote.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-1080P-...127?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a8e36247f

It works very well and feeds my television in the lounge and also my cinema system in another room. There are cheaper ones which have one input but two outputs but I cannot say how good they are. :)

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,573
    TV and Projector - are they the same Resolution and do they support the same range of signals?

LG System - often 'systems' are problematic if you try and split the signal to multiple displays as the system may not include the required firmware to deal with multiple EDID and HDCP.

Distribution Amp - a unit with good EDID and HDCP management plus the ability to install custom firmware is worth considering.

Media Factory - Octava HDDA12A-UK, HDMI1x2 Distribution Amp + audio converter

Joe

5. Yoshubi

Yoshubi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I'm having trouble also, I'm running a gaming event and need a product that will allow 2 gamers to play on a TV with the display showing simultaneously on a projector screen, any ideas?

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,573
    Just re-read your post - that is another world of cost if you want two Source's (PC, Console etc) simultaneously!

We have a fair bit of kit being used in Gaming Development Studios - I’m thinking we need a New ‘retro’ look... - The Media Factory | Facebook

Joe

PS My answer/your description may not be correct - are you wanting Two Sources (PC, Console etc) Displayed side by side on a single screen and that image to be mirrored to a Projector?

7. Yoshubi

Yoshubi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just wanting the two players to play on a standard hdmi tv as you would normally but also the same feed to be shown on a hdmi projector so that an audience can watch too

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,573
    OK my initial answer stands.

The 1x2 Distribution Amp (Splitter) sits on the Output side of the Source and you then connect the two Display devices to the Output side of the Distribution Amp.

Note the Source must be Outputting a signal both Display devices are compatible with.

Joe

9. Yoshubi

Yoshubi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In this case a ps4 as a source, many thanks