1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by figlio, Oct 6, 2003.

1. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I am looking to make an upgrade of my amplifier.I am going to buy the
    pioneer ax10i or the new yamaha z9.I use the 601s2 as rears at the moment are these speakers good to handle the power of these amplifier? If yes can I buy another pair of 601S3 for the rear centers?
    Or there is another good speakers but smaller to handle the power of the amplifiers? i don`t like to fill the room with big speakers

Best Regards

2. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can anyone help please?

3. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    figlio

I believe the amp should be fine with the B&Ws from what I've heard.

As for rear centres I know what you mean about filling the house with speakers. If you're feeling flush you could ditch the 601s and get a new set of surrounds allround. The 600 S3s may be a good choice as they are about 2/3 the size and would be a complete tonal match.

What would be your budget?

You could get a set of bi or dipole surrounds from various manfacturers that would do the job admirably and fit more discretley on side and back walls. It's reckoned that rear speakers don't always need to be a complete tonal match for the fronts. But maybe you need a tonal match across all the rears.

Chris

4. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have around Stg1000 - Stg1500 to buy the rear speakers

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    OK, you're looking at some serious cash then. I had a demo of an M&K based system in manchester recently. (If you're not familiar with them their kit graces some of the most famous film and sound production facilities in the world www.mksound.com )

Anyways, if you want something a little more discrete than the B&Ws then their tripole surrounds (I was looking at a set of K4s for myself sometime) would do the trick to replace all your rear speakers. They would give a more diffuse sound than with the B&Ws as they radiate sound in a wider field than conventional speakers.

Going from 5.1 to 6.1 would give you a more cinematic soundfield and really put you in the centre of things. A set of 4 x K4 would set you back about £800 (from memory).

Chris.

PS hope you get your sub sorted