1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ross007, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Ross007

Ross007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I have got an interesting question. When I went into RS to enquire about the Mission Cinema 72 speaker package I was told politely by the salesmen that Mission speakers fall apart!

Confused by this I decided to contact Mission direct, spoke to gentlemen who was the head of the UK Customer Service. He explained this was not the case, and went on to explain that he spends regular periods in the Far East supervising production. He even invited me to ring back once I had made my purchase and let him have my views.

My question is has this happened to anyone else? Also would a sub benefit this package or should I look at something like the Elac Cinema 1 package?

Thanks

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There were reports of Mission speaker drivers not bolted to the front, so they just fell out. Probably just a faulty production run.

Yep you need a subwoofer. Either buy a good subwoofer, or not at all- a really cheap subwoofer will make the system sound worse.

I haven't heard the Elac system going, so can't comment.

Probably minimum for sub- £350.

Nathan

3. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can confirm that mission speakers do fall apart.....

...if you drop them 3ft onto a solid surface. Other than that they are fine.

At a guess, that particular branch had no Mission speakers in stock and the salesman was attempting to sell something else.

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Can i say (that in my experience) if you call ANY Richer Sounds (to include mail order) in the U.K for say a pair of Mission 702's they will respond along the lines of :
    "Yes sir we do, but i don't want to sell them to you"
    This will then be immediately followed by :
    "I would buy a pair of Gale??? OR Eltax???"

I have yet to overhear a speaker query that could not be resolved with a pair of Gale/Eltax speakers.

Richer Sounds - great if YOU know what YOU want.
    Dark (profit margin) forces at work me thinks.
    I am convinced that whilst always enthusiatic R.S sales people are not the best informed (generally speaking)

Steve

5. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Further to that as said previously a run of 702's did as i recall have a "manufacturing" problem. I have listened to Mission speakers for years and years and although they do not perhaps hold the same "esteem" they once did i have always found them to be (with the odd exception) very good value for money.

Steve

6. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Gale / Eltax speakers are probably better than Mission 700's, actually :p

No offence to any 700 owners, but they really do suck...

Far better spending a little more for some M71's or 771s...

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the mission 771e's from Richer Sounds for £79.95, they haven't fallen apart, and I don't intend on dropping them on any solid surfaces from 3 ft in the air either.

And yes every time I've been into richer sounds they've tried to force me into buying gale/eltax speakers, which I'm sure are very capable speakers, they just have a brand name I'd rather not associate myself with.

Oh and I have a set of Mission Cinema 72s lying around somewhere too. Very capable with movies, but need a sub none-the-less. But they were dreadful with music, which is why they're gathering dust somewhere in my house.

8. Ross007

Ross007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for your replies I thought it would be interesting subject!

Yes they did try to sell me the Eltax / Gale speakers!

The other package I was thinking of was the Elac Cinema 1, this comes with a sub. I was thinking of investing in the extra speaker to make it a 6.1 set up. I was going to partner this the Marantz SR4300 or Yammy RXV630RDS.

Any thoughts?

9. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
  10. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had the same problem with rs in dublin. i went in to buy a pair of mission m73`s and the salesman told me they were crap speakers, and tried to sell me a pair of jpw speakers instead.
    also when i was there, there was a man enquiring about all in one systems, and the salesman told him that he had never sold an all in one system and hoped never to, as they were a waist of money.

11. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Also look at the KEF Cresta 1 and 2 that Richer Sounds are selling at a good price at the moment.

As for a sub ... about the minimum for a good sub is a Paradigm PDR10 ... better is the PS1000 if you have space for it (both from Richer Sounds though you need to be persistant with mail order staff apparently)

The PDR10 should be £175 and the PS1000 about £230.

Might be worth looking http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68657&perpage=15&pagenumber=2 here where I describe a system around the KEF Cresta 1 for the same money as the Elac Cinema 1 including sub, stands and cables.

As for Richer Sounds staff ... I've found it very variable - the Leicester Store has some excellent staff - both helpful and knowledgable ... I was amazed they even knew what Attenuators were for :)

Victoria

12. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I fing RS great for buying what you know you want.

My advice is do all your investigation first and when you have decided what you want goto RS if the stock what you decided on.

Re other post Victoria, well done for taking the time to investigate options including prices etc. :)

13. Ross007

Ross007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks Victoria for your post detailing the Cresta setup. The room size is about 5m x 5m, there is a pillar in the middle, I intend to have one side of the room as a seating area and one side as HC / TV side roughly 3m x 5m.

Based on the room sizes do you think the packages mentioned in this post would be suitable able for a room that size? and would it be worth adding a sixth speaker, and if so what would the difference be?

Thanks