1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which speakers???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Stevemj, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Stevemj

Stevemj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to this home cinema stuff. Have got a Hitachi 36 inch tv, but as I have moved recently I thought it was time to sort the audio out. Read a couple of mags and popped into sevenoakes, more confused than ever.

Could any of you help me in speaker selection, Kef eggs, sevenoakes recomended the energy encore have read good things about the kseries from m&k. I know there is a lot of price difference but budget is flexible (within reason, I've only been at this for a week and can already see all my money vanishing).

I think I will go for a Denon 3802 and get a new dvd player, have an old hitachi at the momement.

I have held off for long enough and its time to get some decent kit so any advice would be greatly appreciated. (Please don't bancrupt me!!!!)

2. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Steve.
    Im no expert but I think im about a month ahead of you.
    I just got a 36" tosh CRT set and wanted to sort out my home AV kit as I had been making do for quite some time.

After much questioning on this site I went for the Kef2005 AV speakers. They give an excellent sound (to my ear), look very stylish and are quite small for easily tucking away on shelves or screwing onto walls. I shopped around and got the Kef's for £620 from M&D Design fantastic service and next day delivary. Rang me to say the stands were out of stock so they would send the speakers to save me waiting and they would pay the postage to send the stands seperately when they arrived.

To power this I too went for a Denon 3802. All the new ##02 Denons at the minute seem to be getting rave reviews. I originally settled on the 2802 but then thought "What the hell" If I was spending 3k already on a setup why scrimp on £140 and miss out on a Great amp for a good one. Got this from hifijunkies for £640 inc delivary. Not used them before but they seemed to have lots of good reviews on here and the guy on the phone seemed very knowledgable and helpful (advised me on cabling requirement etc)

I havent got the Denon yet (should be here thursday) but overall it seems a total package that im more than happy with. Will update Friday if you need.

3. Stevemj

Stevemj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info where to get the kit.

Would be interested how you get on when the denon arrives, keep me posted.

4. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I will let you know how I get on with the Dennon Alongside the KEF's but im no expert so you might want to get some oppinions from more knowledgeable people than myself.

A couple of other things you might want to start thinking about is how you are going to connect everything. Doubledoom posts an excellent article quite freqently (almost daily) somewhere in here describing how to connect your various pieces of kit together (PS2, DVD, AMP, Sky, VCR, CD etc) you also want to give thought to the interconnects (component, scart, composite, RF) from one unit to another, the brand/model of interconnect and also the brand/model of spearker cable to use. I went for QED Micro in the end but this was purely from advice I was given.

When I started I set myself a clear budget.
    Once I'd bought the speakers that left me with 75p to buy an amp with..... :rolleyes:

So I set a new budget.

I went about £350 over my new budget with the amp...... :rolleyes:

Then I had to buy speaker cables......

Then I had to buy interconnects...

And im still thinking about a pronto...... :eek:

Whatever your budget is... be prepared to adjust it.

5. ronski99

ronski99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Stevemj - have a look at the new B&W series 3 speakers if you want an alternative from the Energy or Kef sub/sat combos. I have had a listen to the Energy and found them quite exciting for movies but lacking a little for stereo - Kef eggs get rave reviews so probably the best bet in that form factor.

As for amps, for £600 you can get an "end of life" high end amp such as a Pioneer 909, Sony TAVA777ES or Yamaha AX1.... - if you can live without DPLII and 6/7.1 sound (these amps don't all offer these features) then you will have something that will provide superior IMHO performance for DD/DTS and Stereo than the 3802 - my previous amp was a 3801 and I extensively listened to the 3802 as well and all I can conclude is that my 777ES is far better for both movies and music. If you need all the latest features then 3802 is the way to go.

Just my two pence worth

cheers

Aaron

6. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Hi Steve,

In my opinion, you won't go wrong with the 3802, I've had mine for 3 months now, and it still impresses. I'm running the new B&W 600s3 speakers, which after listening to a few set ups, were the only way to go for me. I listened to the Kef eggs, and UniQ plus a couple of other set ups (some scary prices M&K!!!), and for the price, it was a difficult choice. The hardest part was choosing between the 602.5 and 602's for the front end!

I started with a budget of £1500, but with cabling and interconnects its arounf £2k now, so keep a close guard of your wallet. But at least you've got a decent TV, thats still on my list of things to get!

Ian