1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Speakers....?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kieronholden, Sep 30, 2004.

1. kieronholden

kieronholden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, first post here hope you can help me out, im looking to buy my first decent (but budget) pair of floorstanders. I have a fairly large room so floorstanders arent a problem.

Ive narrowed it down so far to these 3 models:

Mission M35s, £290 @ Hifibitz Cant find any reviews, but they are big and heavy (largest air volume out of the 3), and look very tasty indeed.

Wharfedale diamond 8.4s, £300 @ Hifibitz, Good reviews for the diamond 8 series, but cant find an 8.4 specific review. - kevlar drivers, deep bass response.

And last, but not least the Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3s. Very impressive reviews (5 stars in what Hifi), alloy driver cones.

I mostly listen to classic and progressive rock, i like my bass to be punchy and deep but not too overpowering, and with plenty of detail throughout the mid and treble.

Im using a Marantz PM7200 amp (95Watts).

Any of you guys want to direct me in and way towards each of them, or by all means any others in the price range (£2-350).

Also, what Speaker cable would you recommend, ive been looking at QED Silver aniversary @ £5/m, plenty of good reviews, and i only need a short run anyway. Im actually halfway through making some braided cat5 stuff, but im not to sure about it.

Cheers.

2. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Have you considered second hand? As long as you can demo them then they are a safe bet and you get more speaker for your money.
    Plenty of sites to check, PM me if you want a full list.

I have a set of Rega Ela's in my system which cost me £220 but were £750 new and are difficult to beat.

Andrew