1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Speakers would u use with ....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Pak!Terr0r, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Pak!Terr0r

Pak!Terr0r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HeLLo aLL,

This is my setup.

Panasonic 42" TH-42PA20U/P Plasma Tv.
    Sony DVD Player DVP-NC665P/B.
    Marantz SR7400 A/V Receiver.
    Along with this i have Cable TV + plus i will be getting VCR soon cause i have bunch of VHS tapes which i will be watching every now and then. Room size is about 18" x 14"

Only thing i am missing is speaker system, i have been looking at Bose and B&W so far. My budget for speaker system is $1200 ( $1500 the most ). I need to know what is the best i can get for this price range. I looked at the Bose today and they sounded pretty good. I wanted to get there 301 Direct/Reflecting speaker system for Front, 201 Direct/Reflecting speakers for Rear, and VCS-10® center. Along with that i wanted to get a nice subwoofer. But Bose don't sell subwoofer seperate at all, it only comes if u buy the Acoustimass speaker system package which i wasn't shooting to buy. I have yet to hear the B&W setup, which i will be doing in next couple of days.
    1 ) Do you guys suggest buying the bose speakers i mentioned above and buy other brand Subwoofer ? If yes, then which one do you guys recommned? if not,
    2 ) do you guys suggest their acoustimass speaker system ?
    OR
    which speakers would go best with my setup, i really appreciate all your suggestion and time. Also, if you guys know of any place near by where i can go and demo some speaker systems please let me know. I live in Long Island, NY and work in Manhattan, so anywhere in NYC and/or Long Island will be doable. Thanks

Also, forgot to mention, but the TV is mounted on the wall which is right above the fireplace ( which is fake one btw and will hardly be used to be honest ) Right above the fireplace is the mantel and tv is right above the mantel is the plasma tv, between the mantel and the tv i only have 4" and as far i found there weren't many center which are 4" or below, Bose VCS-10 is 3.25" which is the reason why i wanted to get that. please let me know if you know of any good center which i can fit in that space...

2. CrystalClear

CrystalClear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say B&W over Bose by a long shot. $1200-$1500 is kinda tight for a system budget, but it's possible.

I believe a pair of the bookshelfs in the 300 series are maybe $300/pair. 2 pairs of thoise is $600, plus the center, figuring $150ish. We have $750. $450-$650 buys a decent sub that fits within this family of speakers and that would round off your budget.

The 300 series center looks like it'll be a little big though.
    300 series

-edit-
    FWIW, B&W vs Bose is a strange comparison.

3. sneo

sneo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    try to have a listen to the KHT2005.2
    ...and tell us what you think

4. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The center speaker is the most important for DVDs, should be easy to move your plasma up a bit if necessary, but get a decent center, also usually people buy subs not the same brand as the speakers, unless they buy a sattelite package... :smoke:

Forget Bose... :nono:

5. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    Bose is poor Hifi, you wont find anyone who realy knows their stuff to recomend them.

As for the rest, your in US so I dunno whats out thee, but the best thing is just go listen to a range of stuff with your own source material.

Other peoples opinions on hifi - especialy speakers, is only a guide at best - get what sounds good to your ear and room.

6. Pak!Terr0r

Pak!Terr0r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help, bose imho didn't sound as good as i expected it to be, atleast when i went to hear their setup at one of the store near my house, and not to mention not being able to purchase sub with seperate speakers. Today and Tomorrow i am planning to hear some KEF and B&W and hopefully i can find something i like. Also, moving plasma up a little more is actually not an option in my case :( cause the plasma is already high enough and to put it back up on the mounting brackets i have to lift it high enough in an angle so it would go in and lock in the brackets, and i don't want to take that chance, but thanks for the advice.

In the meantime i will keep looking for a 4" center or lower :) i have a lot of room width wise and have about 8" depth as well.

7. sneo

sneo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    http://www.kef.com/KHT/KHT5005/sat_specs.htm

8. Pak!Terr0r

Pak!Terr0r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks br0,

I came along those as well while browsing their site. i will be going to one of the stores nearby to listen to KEF speakers, but the one near work said that they will no longer be carrying KEF at all, they do have some in stock but not the KHT5000 ones :( and most of the stores listed on KEF site only do custom install and don't carry any at all ... so i am having bit of a problem locating some of these, cause i would def like to listen to them before buying them... thanks for pointing those out though, those will be perfect as my centers :)

9. sneo

sneo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    really:confused: I thought since you have 6 stores in New York and a total of 24 in NY state you wouldn't have a problem demoing some; guess I was wrong

maybe you should ask the experts on here as I don't think it is good practice to mix & match speakers (this doesn't apply to sub woofers), I presume all 5 speakers should be of the same family so they have more or less the same tonal characteristics

10. Pak!Terr0r

Pak!Terr0r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know, as i am calling more places, i am hearing more or less same ****, either they don't have demo room, or they don't carry that particular model, or they are no longer carrying kef anymore. I am definitely not planning to mix speakers, least not planning to, reason being i just don't know enough about them to do that. Sub i was also told i can play more with but then again, but then again i am not sure which one would go well with KEF KHT 5005 ones. I am calling more and more stores ( authorized Retailers ) and i am sure i will come across bunch that carry them ( just hope that i find one that have them in stock and i can demo them. I will keep you all posted once i get lucky :)

l8r

11. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    M&k at the prices you yanks pay, we pay 30% more and still buy them.:D

12. Pak!Terr0r

Pak!Terr0r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Send some over here :) i can def use it.
    OR
    send me a nice setup of those M&K :)

13. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'd go for B&W, Mission, KEF, Accoustic Energy or Canton. Bose are selling overpriced 'lifestyle' products where style seems more important than substance.

If you want a neat sub/sat system, then I'd consider KEF, Canton or AE. Otherwise Mission & B&W will have more traditional speaker/sub packages.

14. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would rather order those KEF 5005 from the net than buy Bose, as you have such strict placement restrictions, you dont have many alternatives, order them, then buy an Americam subwoofer, there are many low priced... :smoke:

15. Pak!Terr0r

Pak!Terr0r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey lowrider,
    The sub that comes along with KeF KHT 5005 aren't good enough ? also, i have been trying to call so many places here in NY and NJ and keep hearing that they don't stock them and would no longer carry them ? i was able to get a price of $1200 from one place, how much they going for in UK ? or one of the euro country ? i just wanted to see if i am getting a good price or not, and since i only got it from 1 place i can't compare pricing as of yet . 5 places suppose to call me back, but i haven't heard anything back yet. If you don't recommend those SUB then can i go with something like Boston PV500/700/900 ? or some other company ?

Thanks

16. sneo

sneo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I believe lowrider suggested you get a sub from the US since you were having difficulty finding the speakers in the US, so if you decided to order them from abroad the sub would be by far the bulkier & heavier of the lot, which would mean significantly increased shipping costs

the KHT5005 MSRP in the UK is 1200GBP but sell at or below 1000GBP, I think these prices include 17.5%VAT which non-EU members do not pay, don't quote me on the whole price think though;)

17. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not that the KEf sub is that bad, but I am sure you can get local brands much better and cheaper, check the Audioasylum, they recomend things like Adire, Velodyne, Paradigm, etc...

18. Pak!Terr0r

Pak!Terr0r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is the deal...
    after calling like 35-40 places ( no joke, may be even more ) i have been unable to get any confirm pricing. They have all said arround $2000 cause no one has it in stock, and more or less all said that they won't be able to get in for another 3-4 weeks. Due to that i am now also thinking for an alternative. What i am now thinking is this.... Since i am so restricted roomwise for center channel, i am now thinking to mount/place the center channel right under the mantel, this way i am no longer restricted to 4" center channel. I am gonna take some pics tonight when i get home and try and post it so you all can see what i mean and how is my setup currently is.

Thanks for the help/suggestions so far

19. mikeywu

mikeywu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a complete 5005 system here in northern California from Anderson's.
    The total price is about $1650 plus tax. Keep in mind that when you buy a complete 5005 system it comes in 3 huge boxes, one box is the sub, another box with 5 satellites and table mount stands, the 3rd box contains 2 floor standing speaker stands. When you get a price quote make sure it is the price for all 3 boxes. I believe the 5005 is only sold as a complete package at this time in the US.
    As far as the performance....they sound fabulous, I have a 19'x14' family room and I think they sound just awesome for a room this size. When I demoed them at Anderson's it was out on the floor in a typical 5.1 surround setup. I brought my own CDs and I asked them to put in 2 ch. stereo mode. When they played Josh Grobin it literally gave me goose bumps. I also played Tears for Fears elemental and Sade lovers rock. Elemental soundsed good. lover's rock had good clarity but the guitar back ground just did not sound as crisp as the other large floor standing KEFs in the "special room" that cost over $1K a piece. Given the price vs performance I bought them on the spot. I set out looking for satellite speakers and I believe 5005 has the perfect blend of great looks, great performance, and space savings.
    I also listened to Canton, Klipsch, Polk, Bose, Energy satellites before I decided on the 5005s.
    My setup: Yamaha RX-V 2400 receiver, Philips Q50 DVD, and Samsung 46" DLP rear projection.
    I think 5005 is definitely worth the wait!!

I hope this helps,

20. SB102

SB102

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your best bet would be to go to Park Ave Audio. They are a KEF dealer and they have the 5005 in stock and on display.

21. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I would propose the KEF Q7AV Package if you can get it over there, the SR7400 is nice musical receiver, so you want to at least give it a musical speaker package.

If you could get the Mordaunt Short range over there, they have released an Avant speaker package now, which would also be a fantastic match up.

If not, the KEF Q7AV package will work very well with the SR7400, it is a bit pricier than some of the others mentioned, but is great for both music and movies.

22. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I'm not sure about the price of these so I could be way over budget. Apologies if I am but have you looked at / listened to the new B&W FPM Series "Flat Panel Monitor" Series. They appear to be the style of speaker that you are after and I think B&Ws sound darn good so I've not listened to them but thought it might be worth you giving them a listen in your hunt for suitable speakers.

http://www.bwspeakers.com/fpmseries/index.html

Will give you an idea what they look like etc...

EDIT: OK that website is dire... :) to showy and not much content but look around www.bwspeakers.com should be some interesting stuff about them.

Cheers

Steph