1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which speakers where

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by matblack, Feb 16, 2005.

1. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I currently have the following setup

2x Kef Q30
    1x Q95c
    2x Codas as rears
    MS309 sub

I am converting the cellar over the next few months to have a PJ and HTPC but we'll still watch TV (Sky) in the lounge.

I am currently considering buying the Canton CD1 package to put with one of the systems but I'm not sure which.

I like the MS309 for movies and I didn't think the Canton sub looked like it had the same Umph for those big bangs.

I will probably listen to more music in the cellar that in the lounge so maybe the Kef stuff should go down there because of the larger L&Rs (Q30)

However if we have a party I am wondering if the Cantons will cope with the music.

Probably the deciding factor in this will be the Cantons have a higher WAF so she may make up my mind for me.

My reservation is if the Canton package blows the Kefs away, theres no chance she'll let me have the Kefs upstairs again :(

What would you do?

Along the same lines. I am currently running the Kefs with a Marantz SR4200, do we think I should keep that with the Kefs downstairs and buy a new Amp for the Cantons or Marantz the Cantons and get a Yamaha or something similar for downstairs?

Sorry this is a bit random but I value your opionions :lease:

MB

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I would keep the kefs down stairs if your going to play music on them as the cantons arnt to good with music but rock with films. Stick the marantz upstairs and buy a Yamaha 650/750 from Germany for downstairs (also get the cantons from Germany and save yourself a fortune:D )

When you have a party swap the cantons fronts out with the Kefs. You could always upgrade the Q30's to the Q4's and see if she notices the difference :devil: and upgrade the Q95 (considered the weak point) with a Kef Referance 100 or Q6c/Q9c

3. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

Yep £550 for amp, speakers and stands from Tenspot! I'll be buying from Germany. We'll be tapping the mortgage for the cellar conversion so hopefully her in doors won't notice the extra bit of cash which goes missing :devil:

I've always found the Q95c fine, I bought it secondhand and the Kef setup was my first venture into AV so I don't know any different though :)

Do you have any experience of the Canton Amp with the CD1 package, does it pack less punch than the MS309?

Cheers for the quick responce

MB

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I used to own the MS309 but have never had a chance to take to against the cantons so I can't help you there. Theoretically the ms309 should out power it as the cd1 has only 50-100 watts and has more internal space .

For the cost of the Q4 I would buy a set of Acoustic energy Evo 3's
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1278
    and the matching centre
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1280
    Will blow the Q4 and q35 and the q95c into pieces for music and movies :D

5. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I just can't run to upgrades on the Kef system at the moment, it sounds fine and it won't get used that much, only for the PJ in the cellar, those are good prices on the AE stuff and if cash allows I'll be doing something like that int he future

MB