riccume

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've recently upgraded my AVR to the Sony STR-DN1080 and, in the process, swapped the front speakers of my Jamo A 102 HCS package with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1. (Bizarrely, I had been using the Wharfedale only for music as Zone 2, though they are positioned next to the Jamo🙄).
What a difference!!
The downside is that now I want to upgrade the rest of the home theatre speakers! I love the way the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 sound and they are plenty good for the use I make of them (playing music in the living room and now watching movies; not too loud because I have neighbours upstairs) so I'd like to keep them and get speakers that fit with them.
This is what I have in mind; thoughts? The budget I've given myself is around £300.
  • Centre Speaker: Wharfedale Diamond 9.CS (£99)
  • Surround back: Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 (£49) or used 9.1 or 10.1 if I can find them
  • Subwoofer: Wharfedale SW-150 (£150). Alternatively a used Wharfedale 10.MX?
In a few months, when we'll be doing some work in the flat, I plan to install a pair of KEF Ci50R (£100) or KEF Ci130ER (£200) or another reasonable set of in-ceiling speakers for Atmos.
Makes sense? Doesn't? Anything obvious I am missing?

My system (in the living room):
  • Sony STR-DN1080
  • Epson EH-TW7000
  • Sapphire SWS270WSF-ASR2
  • Source: Google Chromecast with Google TV or HTPC

Use: watching movies over the weekend (not too loud, I have kids and neighbours) and playing music in the background (kids get in the way of sitting down and listening properly!).

Thank you!

ideally you want the matching 10 centre. If you cant find one then a single 10.1 would work.

Perhaps also consider the Whardedale dx 1/2 package, use 2 of the satelites for front heights.

I've recently upgraded my AVR to the Sony STR-DN1080 and, in the process, swapped the front speakers of my Jamo A 102 HCS package with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1. (Bizarrely, I had been using the Wharfedale only for music as Zone 2, though they are positioned next to the Jamo🙄).
What a difference!!
The downside is that now I want to upgrade the rest of the home theatre speakers! I love the way the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 sound and they are plenty good for the use I make of them (playing music in the living room and now watching movies; not too loud because I have neighbours upstairs) so I'd like to keep them and get speakers that fit with them.
This is what I have in mind; thoughts? The budget I've given myself is around £300.
  • Centre Speaker: Wharfedale Diamond 9.CS (£99)
  • Surround back: Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 (£49) or used 9.1 or 10.1 if I can find them
  • Subwoofer: Wharfedale SW-150 (£150). Alternatively a used Wharfedale 10.MX?
In a few months, when we'll be doing some work in the flat, I plan to install a pair of KEF Ci50R (£100) or KEF Ci130ER (£200) or another reasonable set of in-ceiling speakers for Atmos.
Makes sense? Doesn't? Anything obvious I am missing?

My system (in the living room):
  • Sony STR-DN1080
  • Epson EH-TW7000
  • Sapphire SWS270WSF-ASR2
  • Source: Google Chromecast with Google TV or HTPC

Use: watching movies over the weekend (not too loud, I have kids and neighbours) and playing music in the background (kids get in the way of sitting down and listening properly!).

Thank you!

Too low budget. Do the upgrades in steps.

Wharfedale 11CS (if you can find one) or 12 Centre (one of the most important speaker in your system, don´t cheap out)

In 5.1 system there is no surround backs, there is surround sides. Surrounds backs = 7.1

Wharfedale 9.0 is butt ugly, reminds me of 90s! 🤮9.1 goes 50£ up at Gumtree used, if you got the space rather pick that for effect channels and naturally some 600-800mm tall speaker stands.

Subwoofer SW-150 haven´t got much praise here. Bloated, boomy bass with limited performance and some amp failures. But that goes for many cheap woofers. There is no matching requirements for the subwoofer so you can pick other brand freely. I would consider either of those KLH if you can save bit more. Or BK Gemini II which is more "polite" for action/scifi movies though, but depending what you looking for.

KEF CI130ER without doubt over the cheaper ones or height channels! Ceiling speakers is the way to go if possible!

In 5.1 system there is no surround backs, there is surround sides. Surrounds backs = 7.1
My bad, I meant surround speakers.

Wharfedale 9.0 is butt ugly, reminds me of 90s! 🤮9.1 goes 50£ up at Gumtree used, if you got the space rather pick that for effect channels and naturally some 600-800mm tall speaker stands.
But I loved the 90s!! 😂 but you are right, used 9.1 seems to be a better option.

I would consider either of those KLH if you can save bit more. Or BK Gemini II which is more "polite" for action/scifi movies though, but depending what you looking for.
Thanks, didn't know there is no need to match the subwoofer. They both seems to be great options. Do you mean that the KLH can be too boomy for action movies?

My bad, I meant surround speakers.

But I loved the 90s!! 😂 but you are right, used 9.1 seems to be a better option.

Thanks, didn't know there is no need to match the subwoofer. They both seems to be great options. Do you mean that the KLH can be too boomy for action movies?

If you have few options regarding placement i don´t think it will sound boomy. It was 600$ product in US (Windsor 12). How large room you have?

Last edited:
If you have few options regarding placement i don´t think it will sound boomy. It was 600$ product in US (Windsor 12). How large room you have?

The room is about 18ft x 14ft with a big opening on one side where it connects to the kitchen. The subwoofer is currently located near the right surround speaker and won't be easy to find another location.

I see that AV Online has new Wharfedale 11.1 at £129. Worth the extra money, maybe using the 11.1 as front speakers and moving the 10.1 as surround speakers?
Or save c. £50 and go with a pair of used 9.1 for surround, as you suggest?

I see that AV Online has new Wharfedale 11.1 at £129. Worth the extra money, maybe using the 11.1 as front speakers and moving the 10.1 as surround speakers?
Or save c. £50 and go with a pair of used 9.1 for surround, as you suggest?

Indeed they would more refined to 10.1 so you would get slight upgrade for mains and i would assume chances finding 11 CS is higher than 10 range CS if you want fully matching centre channel. 50£ is nothing in long term. 52% off is great discount. One member bought those last week, haven´t heard back yet.

The room is about 18ft x 14ft with a big opening on one side where it connects to the kitchen. The subwoofer is currently located near the right surround speaker and won't be easy to find another location.

Shame the front wall / corner is not available. Is 350£ too much for the woofer?

I am afraid it is. The KLH you suggested are already a stretch but one that can be done.

What got me thinking is the placement. I haven`t tried sub at rear one side, behind couch with the driver almost against couch which was quite brutal (hits so hard your back and couch shakes), but it wasn´t perfect either. Still prefered the sub at front. Also few members i have talked with have required two woofers at the back of room to get perfect blending (ported) without localization. I also wonder how it`s going to sound with music if you want to listen 2.1 with the speakers at front and sub closer to couch at rear.

So the next question is does the Gemini II i linked fit in the front wall between/next to speakers or in either front corners? For reminder the dimensions are: 315D X 355H x 290W

So the next question is does the Gemini II i linked fit in the front wall between/next to speakers or in either front corners? For reminder the dimensions are: 315D X 355H x 290W
Fair point. I might try and move the subwoofer it to the front right corner; not as discreet as the rear right location and requires running the wire under the floor but should be feasible.

Now, I'm landing on these speakers. Red flags?
- Front: Diamond 11.1 at £129 (AV Online)
Alternative would be Diamond 220 at £129 but I believe the 11.1 are a better option and unclear whether the 220 would be an improvement on the 10.1 I already have
- Centre: Diamond 11.CC at £150 (Stoneaudio)
Alternative would be Diamond 12.C at £200 but a) they are very big! b) they are £50 more c) the 11.CC should match the 11.1 better?
- Subwoofer: KLH Windsor 10 at £220 (America Audio Company)
Alternative would be KLH Windsor 12 at £280 but overkill for my constrains (neighbours!) or BK Gemni II but £30 more

Big stretch from the original £300 budget but I feel this is better value for money and still in line with my needs.

It seems Wharfedale has changed designer and there is not one part same to old range (11) so maybe best stick to 11CC, 11CS would be better due to identical drivers to 11.1 but can´t be found. :( At least the 11CC shares same tweeter with 11.1 so you don´t have as big tonal change. Personally i´m not fan of the small center channels, but each room is different and people have limited space so you do what you can. The most important thing is to put as much effort to place the center channel close to seated ear height in free air, not inside cabinet shooting your knees!

The only feedback is from the Windsor 12 model, no idea how good the Windsor 10 is and would you regret saving few backs in long run? Spec wise the manufacturer gives same frequency response which is bit odd. I have lived in apartments and used sub always (10-12") and it isn´t generally issue apart late nights, you are in control how loud the sub plays. I would always pick larger over smaller cause you can turn it always down, but many regrets picking small as the hunger grows wanting more. Often the larger one adds bit more weight and depth even at moderate listening levels. The open plan room (23sqm + open to kitchen) in mind the 12 would be more ideal if it fits, but the subwoofer placement is very important so the 10" KLH and BK Gemini II could perhaps go where the 12" KLH can`t.

Chris can comment the 10 vs 12 differences as he sells these KLH models @AmericanAudio .

It seems Wharfedale has changed designer and there is not one part same to old range (11) so maybe best stick to 11CC, 11CS would be better due to identical drivers to 11.1 but can´t be found. :( At least the 11CC shares same tweeter with 11.1 so you don´t have as big tonal change. Personally i´m not fan of the small center channels, but each room is different and people have limited space so you do what you can. The most important thing is to put as much effort to place the center channel close to seated ear height in free air, not inside cabinet shooting your knees!

The only feedback is from the Windsor 12 model, no idea how good the Windsor 10 is and would you regret saving few backs in long run? Spec wise the manufacturer gives same frequency response which is bit odd. I have lived in apartments and used sub always (10-12") and it isn´t generally issue apart late nights, you are in control how loud the sub plays. I would always pick larger over smaller cause you can turn it always down, but many regrets picking small as the hunger grows wanting more. Often the larger one adds bit more weight and depth even at moderate listening levels. The open plan room (23sqm + open to kitchen) in mind the 12 would be more ideal if it fits, but the subwoofer placement is very important so the 10" KLH and BK Gemini II could perhaps go where the 12" KLH can`t.

Chris can comment the 10 vs 12 differences as he sells these KLH models @AmericanAudio .
Done! As mentioned in the earlier post, I went with Diamond 11.1 and Diamond 11.CC; I will move the 10.1 to surround. Chris was kindly available for a chat re. the KLH Windsor 10 and 12 and I ended up going for the 12. Very excited!

@Gasp3621 , I will send the neighbours your way when they complain about the noise! 😂

Kidding aside, thanks so much for your time and knowledge, greatly appreciated!

Done! As mentioned in the earlier post, I went with Diamond 11.1 and Diamond 11.CC; I will move the 10.1 to surround. Chris was kindly available for a chat re. the KLH Windsor 10 and 12 and I ended up going for the 12. Very excited!

@Gasp3621 , I will send the neighbours your way when they complain about the noise! 😂

Kidding aside, thanks so much for your time and knowledge, greatly appreciated!

Haha. Very nice, hope you will be happy with the new system! Get some good mic stand / tripod if you can for the setup phase (Sony) with mic so you get it high up around seated ear height, room totally silent and get away from mic/speakers while it runs. Then check the basic things like speaker size (all to small) and crossovers (80-100hz). And naturally put max effort to get the speakers at optimal positions, then you will hear them at their best! Check the picture on below link:

Behind the sub: connect cable to white LFE, gain knob to around 10-12clock (Sony is bit question mark), phase knob to 0, Frequency knob to max hz.

Great to hear Chris @AmericanAudio talked some sense to you for picking the larger one. For long term it´s definitely worth it and reading about it (AVSF) sounds like good budget sub, one member bought it for he`s friend and he was happy couch was shaking. :laugh:

Great advice, thanks @Gasp3621. I will follow it step by step!
Turns out that when Stone Audio say "In Stock" they mean "We will check and let you know". No 11.CC there 😠😭. I ended up tracking down an Amazon Warehouse 11.CS in the US... wish me luck!

On second thought; after shipping and custom for the used 11.CS from the US, brand new 12.C from an established UK seller would only be £10 more. I would end up with a strange assortment of 12.C centre, 11.1 front, and 10.1 surround. Still, no brainer I'd say, given how difficult it would be to return the 11.CC if needed. What do you think?

On second thought; after shipping and custom for the used 11.CS from the US, brand new 12.C from an established UK seller would only be £10 more. I would end up with a strange assortment of 12.C centre, 11.1 front, and 10.1 surround. Still, no brainer I'd say, given how difficult it would be to return the 11.CC if needed. What do you think?

Tough to say. I just read that Wharfedale had changed the speaker designer for this entry level range and looking compleltely new sound, nothing kept from old ranges. Normally the changes has been quite modest, but Wharfedale hasn´t been that popular anymore so i guess the change was in order. So the question is how different 12C sounds with different drivers etc. It won´t be 100% match and will look different, if you can live with that.. It`s amazing how hard it´s to find Wharfedale center channels, always the same case. No one has them.

Can you fit third 11.1 vertically upright like the mains are kept? 14,5cm taller than 11CS so tv would need to be mount little higher. Pair of 11.1 are cheap... Some have kept the bookshelf speker horizontal, but it´s always question mark how good the dispersion is then. Most ideal scenario = three identical speakers at front placed same way (vertically).

Tough to say. I just read that Wharfedale had changed the speaker designer for this entry level range and looking compleltely new sound, nothing kept from old ranges. Normally the changes has been quite modest, but Wharfedale hasn´t been that popular anymore so i guess the change was in order. So the question is how different 12C sounds with different drivers etc. It won´t be 100% match and will look different, if you can live with that.. It`s amazing how hard it´s to find Wharfedale center channels, always the same case. No one has them.
That's what I feared. You have talked me out of buying the 12.C!
11.CS from Amazon Warehouse US for a total cost of £185 (and three weeks wait; and impossible to return if needed) or brand new 9.CS for £90? One 11.1 as centre is feasible (99% of the time the speakers are used with projector and screen and I can move the centre out of the way when not using it) but it is still £130 for a pair...

That's what I feared. You have talked me out of buying the 12.C!
11.CS from Amazon Warehouse US for a total cost of £185 (and three weeks wait; and impossible to return if needed) or brand new 9.CS for £90? One 11.1 as centre is feasible (99% of the time the speakers are used with projector and screen and I can move the centre out of the way when not using it) but it is still £130 for a pair...

Definitely if you can get it at good height and kept upright. 130£ isn´t bad. It´s possible that you migth be able to sell the extra speaker forward so not biggie.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom