1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which speakers to accompany a Pioneer VSX-AX5Ai-S

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MyBoxLife, Aug 1, 2005.

1. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Just received my new Pioneer VSX-AX5Ai-S :clap: :clap: :clap: :D, what a monster next to my old Sony STR-DB1070, unfortunately, I'm still without new speakers :(, partly thanks to a clown at Richer Sounds :mad: (Not going there!). I had decided on the Mordaunt-Short 908s, 905c, and 902s, which would have cost me a tad over £500. Interested to hear your opinion before finding another retailer to give my money to, looking to spend roughly £500, even as much as £700, if it'll make a world's difference. HELP! BTW, I need these speakers real soon, I want to play with my new Amp. :hiya:

2. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    :(, nobody with a AX5Ai, 500 to 700 squid to low, anybody, I've got to order today, can't bare to wait.

3. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like a good set, or you could look at the wharfedale 9.5's as fronts and 9.2 as rears...

4. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Don't like the look of the Wharfedale, but thanks for the suggestion Llanowar. Tempted by the Kef Q Series, that, and the Monitor Audio Silver.

5. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Have you looked at the AE Evos - supposed to be good speakers and good value.

6. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I use Canton's for 7.1 from my Ax5ai-s

3x cd-50 centre & mono rears
    4x cd-100 for R&L front and rear stereo
    AS-25SC Sub

See Powerbuy thread for more details, absolutely stunning in black, and they sound great too.

If you don't need a sub or 7.1 they will be within your budget

7. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Thanks ufitsy and scrowe, will have a look.

8. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate you want to play with the new toys but might be worth hearing a few first. I bought a speaker set a while back and they are 'ok' but I'm slowly changin them over for the Quad series because they were a quick purchase and seemed good value at the time. I know that its frustrating waiting though....

9. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Canton, how ever good they may be, don't do it for me in looks.
    Acoustic Energy AEGIS Evo, top of the list at the moment, although HomeCinemaChoice finds them dull at times, anybody had any experience with this?

wannabeav, you're right, on both strikes, although, in my price range, with peoples' opinions here, and the world wide web, I should be able to decide on a speaker package that will make me happy without searching the country for somebody who'll be able to demo even 50% of my choices under the same conditions.

A little over my budget (With the Sub!), but what about KEF Q5, Q6c, and Q Compact, all in for £650, and an extra £200 for the Sub?

10. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kefs match the amp well (IMHO) - I used Q7, Q9 and Qcompacts with the Pio 2011 (forerunner to AX5) and all sounded nice - since upgrade to rotel pre/power the speakers sound even better suggesting they will do more than fine with the AX5.

Just buy all you want now as they are to be replaced with a newer model "Qi" but it does mean there is stock clearance and exdem stuff to be had cheap.

11. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Best advice on this thread imho...

12. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,782
    Although it was a limited "test" with music I did have the opportunity to audition the EVO against the B&W 602 S3 in a Practical HiFi shop. I'd have to agree with HCC, in comparison with the 602's the EVO's were dull.

Since that time my son has bought the 602's and I've been so impressed with them that I recently raided the piggy bank for a set of S/H 604's S3. As yet I do not have an AV amp :rolleyes: just an old trusty HiFi amp (Nytech!) driving my old Heybrook HB1's. Even with new bass drivers in the HB1s in the last 12 months, they are not as "sweet", smoothed and as well controlled as the 602's which I hooked up to the Nytech to try.

So when I get the 604's from RSRAVI, and if you're interested. I'll post a few subjective observations.

FWIW I'm toying with either purchasing a Denon 3805, or perhaps a S/H older Denon amp in the "A1" series. I believe the Denons will be more suited to the B&W range than the Pioneers which, according to many reviews, are brighter than the Denons. The 600 series B&W's are a lively set of speakers and probably would be mores suited to slightly more rounded Denon sound.

My tag line says it all... :D