Which speakers should I buy?

saguk1234

Distinguished Member
I have been researching several different speakers and these are on my shortlist:

Focal 1038
Dali 800
Sonus Faber Cremona
Proac D40R
B&W 800 (doesn't matter which one!)

I watch films mainly and I like the detailed analytical sound.

Any opinions on which I should go for?

Philw101

Prominent Member
Hi Sag,

That is one heck of a list of speakers! :) I don't think you will go wrong with any of those but I guess it depends on the source material you will be using and of course your budget? Have you demoed any of these yet?

Of course I am biased and love the look of the B&Ws (especially the 800 series) the midrange is incredbie due to the FST driver - however many feel you pay for the B&W brand and of course this has an effect on the RRP of the speakers!

By the way I hope the ADA is working out ok? :) Did you manage to fix the Popcorn hour?

saguk1234

Distinguished Member
I like B&W but they seem extremely expensive for what they are. But I have seen many 804s go on ebay for about £2000. My budget will be small therefore I will buy them used/ex demo. I am looking at the Proac mainly because of the ribbon tweeters as I really like the ribbons on my XTZ.

The ADA is awesome. And the Popcorn was caused by how crap the Popcorn is!

Philw101

Prominent Member
There is a pair of 803s on eBay at the moment for about £2K think they are just under that on Hifi wigwam!

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Hi there - did you go for something in the end, or are you still pondering?

saguk1234

Distinguished Member
Still pondering. I am buying used and therefore the hardest speaker to find used is the centre. Once I buy the centre I will then know what main speakers to get.

saguk1234

Distinguished Member
I went out and bought a Monitor Audio PLC350 centre speaker. Wow its bloody massive. Its replacing a XTZ 99.25 centre and what an upgrade! I actually A/B the PLC350 against the 99.36 floorstanders. The 99.36 sound dead and flat compared to the MA. And now the bass has returned with the MA! And there is even more detail. Now I have to buy four PL300.:rolleyes::D

Philw101

Prominent Member
Wow Sag nice centre! Its actually bigger than my HTM3s!!! :eek: What finish did you go for?

I am hoping you got a dedicated stand for it - I don't think your TV unit could cope with 33kg on the top shelf!!!! :smashin:

Will you be making any changes to the Sunfire amp?

saguk1234

Distinguished Member
I went for the ebony finish. I have carefully put the speaker on the unit and its holding fine. The Sunfire Signature can supply 850 watts into 5 channels at 4 ohms (according to the spec) so it should be more than enough. The PLC350 weighs more than the HTM2D but the HTM2D is slightly bigger.

Attachments

• photo 2(2).jpg
    photo 2(2).jpg
    206 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

sergiup

Distinguished Member
I went for the ebony finish. I have carefully put the speaker on the unit and its holding fine. The Sunfire Signature can supply 810 watts into 5 channels at 4 ohms (according to the spec) so it should be more than enough. The PLC350 weighs more than the HTM2D but the HTM2D is slightly bigger.

Wow, that's... big..! I'm hoping to get some XTZ's (LCR) in a few weeks, hopefully they'll be a good enough upgrade to keep me happy for a few years. The PL C350 looks nice, but HUGE - 2x 8" drivers :eek:

May it keep you entertained! :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G3 MLA OLED Evo Best Picture Settings - works for ALL 2023 LG OLEDs
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Back
Top Bottom