Which speakers? Leaning towards Arendal?

stonechip

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes sorry another which speaker question, sorry.

I'm currently looking at converting our existing garage into a new lounge (not a dedicated cinema room unfortunately)
The garage is 5.6 x 4.7m in total, with us looking to move the TV/PJ screen onto the longer wall.

I currently I'm running a 5.1.4 set up with Klipsch RP500 as LCR, Dali Zensor 1 as rears, 4 x Q Aquatics QI80c ceiling speakers and a PB1000 PRO sub all currently connected to a Denon RXA-3600.

I was looking to change the front stage to some floor standing speakers and in turn move the RP500's to the rear but I think they will stick out too far on the back wall.

So this leads me now to thinking about changing my current set up completely. Was leaning towards Arendal. Looking for some advise on these or another option.
It would most likely be the 1723S range over the 1961 as I much prefer the look of the surrounds of the 1723S. Although it's going to cost a fir bit more than i was hoping to spend. Especially if I'm going to have to change the AVR or add a power amp or such?
Also looking to add another sub, so second PB1000 PRO or look at the matching Arendal sub and have one of each?
Would the 1723S be way to much for the room or is there no such thing as overkill?

Here's a rough picture of what I'm thinking. Mostly going to be 80% tv/movies, 20% music.

floorplanspeakers.png

Any help/advise would be great.

I don`t see any reason why it wouldn´t work if you push the speakers forward in to the room some with a little toe in. @dts197 has those 1723S Towers in room which is slightly smaller than yours, he may be able to share picture via PM if you are thinking how large they look.

Do you have a typo with the receiver? RX-A3060 sounds like Yamaha and in that case no you don`t need to panic with any poweramp yet. We have members with A10x0 running full Arendal system and dts197 had the A3070 too which sounded great. Better to spend the money for 2nd PB1000 Pro, don´t mix brands! The diagonally opposite front/rear could be ideal, check with Room EQ Wizard - room simulation to be sure (free program download it); add room dimensions, MLP and the subs. This is assuming you don´t haven usb mic to measure the room response. Some discount should be possible for SVS either from forum advertisers (Cinehome UK / American Audio UK) for AVForums members or from Richer Sounds.

Hi Gasp3621,

Thanks for the reply. I'll send a PM to @tds197 and see. Its hard to visualise it at the minute or see the size of the speakers as there's no uk shops selling them.
I did make a typo on the AVR, I'd definitely a Denon avrx-3600. Also the ceiling speakers are the Qi80 CI models.
I will also looking into downloading the room EQ wizard and do some research into this.
I'm going to order my self the room mic as well as I'll be needed it in the future when I get this finished.

Hi Gasp3621,

Thanks for the reply. I'll send a PM to @tds197 and see. Its hard to visualise it at the minute or see the size of the speakers as there's no uk shops selling them.
I did make a typo on the AVR, I'd definitely a Denon avrx-3600. Also the ceiling speakers are the Qi80 CI models.
I will also looking into downloading the room EQ wizard and do some research into this.
I'm going to order my self the room mic as well as I'll be needed it in the future when I get this finished.

Oh so Denon X3600H (2019).

You will get started with it for sure and in due time you can consider adding poweramp (3-7ch). Ceiling speakers should be last on your list to worry and you have some decent sized 8" QAs now so no panic yet. Arendal should introduce their own in-ceiling speakers at some point.

Yeah send PM to @dts197 as he hopefully lurking here. 😬 He should be able to answer any questions you have for the speakers.

PS. Please notice new prices coming 1.3.2022, price jumps like with most brands i assume.

Oh so Denon X3600H (2019).

That's the one, I was trying to remember the model number etc while at work.

I'm really please that they are deciding to put the price up again.

I'm now also looking at trying to demo the XTZ M6 range at the minute as I'm still not sure about buying the Arendal's with out even seeing them in person. There seams to be a huge amount of different speakers out there in this kind of price range with people recommending these or these or those. most of them including the Arendal's I've never even heard of.

There's a lot of support for Arendal on the forum but you'll be very lucky to find any in a store in the UK. I reached out to them but they're not interested in having dealers - they keep their pricing competitive by keeping out the middle man :)

There are many many brands - my advice is go try and get a listen at your local hifi / AV store(s).
Go with your ears and your eyes.

Question for you: what is it in your system you're most unhappy about? Are you wanting to upgrade to a common solution (vendor), thinking of going for something "end game", wanting support for more channels etc etc?

May help the guys on here steer you towards some solution(s) rather than just focussing on a product :)

There are many many brands - my advice is go try and get a listen at your local hifi / AV store(s).
Go with your ears and your eyes.

Question for you: what is it in your system you're most unhappy about? Are you wanting to upgrade to a common solution (vendor), thinking of going for something "end game", wanting support for more channels etc etc?

May help the guys on here steer you towards some solution(s) rather than just focussing on a product :)
Going to look at and listen to them is what I was going to try and do, but trying to find a shop with all the speakers I might be interested in is quite hard, then there's the ones which you cant see in store.
Same goes with listening to them, replicating what the actual speaker will sound like at home in my own room is different to the shop environment. Plus I'm sure my ears will lie to be when presented with me shinny speakers in front of my eyes.

I'm not sure I can answer your second question. with moving into a bigger room and being able to "design" it when we move in means to me now is the time to change/add/replace them. I will also be able to move away from wall mounted bookshelf speakers as we will have the extra space. Would be leaning towards the more "end game speaker" I guess as I don't want to spend say 1K on the LRC and then change them again down the line. Reckon I can get away with maybe 2-3K on the LRC if I needed too. But spending 5.5K on 7 new 1723's is looking like I'm pushing my luck a bit.
Might look at the 1961 range instead, as the same 7 will come in at 2.5k which is a lot better for me pocket.
Channels wise, I have gone from 5.2.4 to 5.1.4, again with the new room I'm able to go to 7.2.4.

So overall, I'm not sure 100% what I'm after

That's the one, I was trying to remember the model number etc while at work.

I'm really please that they are deciding to put the price up again.

I'm now also looking at trying to demo the XTZ M6 range at the minute as I'm still not sure about buying the Arendal's with out even seeing them in person. There seams to be a huge amount of different speakers out there in this kind of price range with people recommending these or these or those. most of them including the Arendal's I've never even heard of.

M6s are more compact sized with smaller drivers so they aren`t going to give similar dynamics and as large/wide soundstage (what has been said) as 1723s, but that doesn`t mean they wouldn`t be great speakers especially if you fancy something more compact. We have XTZ Cinema and Arendal 1723 owners thread where is ton of information too.

@DodgeTheViper and @mb3195 have owned XTZ M6s and upgraded to Arendal 1723s, maybe they can say few words or send PM. :) Also i think Dodge had the legendary M&K S150s same as this Shane and he mentions on the clip where Arendals "beats" M&Ks plus you get some idea of the size hopefully.

Last edited:
Both the Arendal and XTZ Cinemas are great speakers as previously mentioned and I own XTZ myself. If you find the Arendal a bit pricey in 1723 form you might well consider Monoprice Monolith THX range.

Plenty of other reviews around and both Mono speakers and subwoofer threads on the forum with many happy owners.

I have had a full monolith THX 365/265 system with dual 12" THX subs for a while now and think for the money there is nothing out there to compare. They are easily better than the Arendal 1961's and can be compared with the 1723S for sure but at much less money.

A set of Monolith 365T 365C for LCR along with 265B for surrounds giving you a 5.4 Atmos system could cost less than £1700 and tha'ts at list price, they do have sales on fairly regularly with 10%-20% off.

Then add a sub or two (12" THX £799 ea) and you would have a very competent dynamic home cinema system.

Last edited:
Arendal prices going up on 1st March due to increased logistics costs I believe

Not 1723S range by much or anything at all. Mostly 1961s.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom