Which Speakers for Cinema Room - Budget £1k

Shaun1985

Novice Member
Hi, in the next couple of months im looking to set up the Double garage as a kids play room/Cinema room!

I will have a JVC 4k eShift projector onto a 120" pull down sapphire screen, thinking either Sony, Dennon or Marantz for the AV receiver but im stuck on speakers!

Ideally i would like 5.1.2, i will require the L/C/R to be wall mountable and unfortunately due to the kids having it as a playroom too the rear speakers will be at height but i might get away with retractable brackets to have them 18" down from the ceiling.

Please can you share your expertise and give me some suggestions on what speaker package could work here such as brand and model?

to confirm the £1k budget is for the speakers alone and happy to buy used.

Thanks

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi, in the next couple of months im looking to set up the Double garage as a kids play room/Cinema room!

I will have a JVC 4k eShift projector onto a 120" pull down sapphire screen, thinking either Sony, Dennon or Marantz for the AV receiver but im stuck on speakers!

Ideally i would like 5.1.2, i will require the L/C/R to be wall mountable and unfortunately due to the kids having it as a playroom too the rear speakers will be at height but i might get away with retractable brackets to have them 18" down from the ceiling.

Please can you share your expertise and give me some suggestions on what speaker package could work here such as brand and model?

to confirm the £1k budget is for the speakers alone and happy to buy used.

Thanks

You would need to know what to buy used as there is lot of options.

How much you can spend for subwoofer and av-receiver, so what is the total budget? It sounds quite tight, hopefully the 1k£ doesn´t include subwoofer.

How large is the room with possible openings, dimensions?

You have issue with the surround speaker placement as they should be roughly around seated ear height. Ideally they would go on side walls, is that possible? Something low depth flush against wall and then hide the wires with white trunking. Kinda pointless to go with Atmos if you have both channels (overhead and surround sides) at close to similar height. The effect will be lesser then!

Shaun1985

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply. so the Budget is £1k for speakers and yes including the Sub, receiver i expect around £450 budget.

due to it been a play room too i have devised a plan to possible have Floor standing front speakers with a Centre mounted on the unit below the Screen, due to having loft space above and it not being in use i am going to craft some telescopic brackets that allow the Rear speakers to be pulled down to ear level when in use meaning you would get the benefit from Atmos. and i say craft the brackets as i cannot find any unless you know of some?

there will be sound loss in the room as it is 5.5m x 5.5m but the cinema area will be 3m x 4m roughly

Shaun1985

Novice Member
1626452744914.png

sraper

Many years ago (about 6!) I bought the predecessor to this Q Acoustics 3020i Cinema Pack

Great package and so far the only thing I have changed is the sub to twin xtz12's🤗

I bought an additional pair of 3010 so that I could have a 7.1 system they do wall brackets that can be used for the fronts and even speaker stands if your willing to risk it for the rears

Shaun1985

Novice Member
Many years ago (about 6!) I bought the predecessor to this Q Acoustics 3020i Cinema Pack

Great package and so far the only thing I have changed is the sub to twin xtz12's🤗

I bought an additional pair of 3010 so that I could have a 7.1 system they do wall brackets that can be used for the fronts and even speaker stands if your willing to risk it for the rears
Thanks and must say I have seen the XTZ speakers which look amazing!

But as I say I'm thinking of some drop down brackets for the speakers to hide the cables and keep them out of reach of the kids haha.

Shaun1985

Novice Member
You would need to know what to buy used as there is lot of options.

How much you can spend for subwoofer and av-receiver, so what is the total budget? It sounds quite tight, hopefully the 1k£ doesn´t include subwoofer.

How large is the room with possible openings, dimensions?

You have issue with the surround speaker placement as they should be roughly around seated ear height. Ideally they would go on side walls, is that possible? Something low depth flush against wall and then hide the wires with white trunking. Kinda pointless to go with Atmos if you have both channels (overhead and surround sides) at close to similar height. The effect will be lesser then!
Thanks for the reply. so the Budget is £1k for speakers and yes including the Sub, receiver i expect around £450 budget.

due to it been a play room too i have devised a plan to possible have Floor standing front speakers with a Centre mounted on the unit below the Screen, due to having loft space above and it not being in use i am going to craft some telescopic brackets that allow the Rear speakers to be pulled down to ear level when in use meaning you would get the benefit from Atmos. and i say craft the brackets as i cannot find any unless you know of some?

there will be sound loss in the room as it is 5.5m x 5.5m but the cinema area will be 3m x 4m roughly

1626455531984.png

sraper

This was my front setup when first bought

Was always planning on upgrading to full xtz's but so far never bothered

Attachments

• 20160413_194840.jpg
    20160413_194840.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 33

Shaun1985

Novice Member
This was my front setup when first bought

Was always planning on upgrading to full xtz's but so far never bothered
So do the speakers pack a punch as due to the room being quite big I need some that can cope with the loss of walls to refract the sound

sraper

Hmm hard to say the original sub in that package was its weakest link but the package I linked to has a newer version of the sub.

I use them in an enclosed room that is roughly 7m x 5m and can hit reference levels.

Strangely I have that sub in another huge open (7m by 15m) plan room and it actually sounds better in fact it's a bit boomy now

Shaun1985

Novice Member
Hmm hard to say the original sub in that package was its weakest link but the package I linked to has a newer version of the sub.

I use them in an enclosed room that is roughly 7m x 5m and can hit reference levels.

Strangely I have that sub in another huge open (7m by 15m) plan room and it actually sounds better in fact it's a bit boomy now
Yeah I have been looking at the monitor audio or even Dali thinking I may be able to place floor standers at the front with a centre on the unit below the projector screen

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

View attachment 1542803

That is not the most ideal placement for the speakers. Is there any way to swap the order so the speakers wouldn´t go to corner? Perhaps just moving everything slightly to the left?

Budget is too low for 5.1.2 if need floorstanders too. Ceiling speakers won´t fit the budget and the subwoofer will be quite underwhelming meaning that will be upgraded first when funds allow. Here is the bundle deals speakers + receiver lowest pricing for your 1450£ budget.

I think X1600H is your best bet for receiver. It´s 2019 model, but there is no other as good 7.2 receiver for 450£. The latest 2020 models with hdmi 2.1 cost 600£.

Shaun1985

Novice Member
O
That is not the most ideal placement for the speakers. Is there any way to swap the order so the speakers wouldn´t go to corner? Perhaps just moving everything slightly to the left?

Budget is too low for 5.1.2 if need floorstanders too. Ceiling speakers won´t fit the budget and the subwoofer will be quite underwhelming meaning that will be upgraded first when funds allow. Here is the bundle deals speakers + receiver lowest pricing for your 1450£ budget.

I think X1600H is your best bet for receiver. It´s 2019 model, but there is no other as good 7.2 receiver for 450£. The latest 2020 models with hdmi 2.1 cost 600£.
Ok any advice on speakers?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
O

Ok any advice on speakers?

Those two are quite popular choices i linked earlier. You had 1k£ for speakers, sub and 450£ for receiver so 1450£ max. You have to save up for ceiling speakers though.

Either those floorstanding bundles or standmount speakers at front with stands. For some reason you get the newer better receiver for same price as X1600H. Add about 60£ for speaker stands for the below prices. Of course one could try to haggle these prices bit lower, won´t hurt to ask.

Found one bundle deal more with floorstanders and it´s from Fyne new brand. Old Tannoy speaker designers/engineers put up new brand called Fyne. Seems solid option, Steve Withers who writes reviews at AVF too gave it Best Buy so it must do something right. Only nitpick as with other systems is the small subwoofer for your 5,5x5,5 room. It could be changed, but even this is slightly over your budget.

Attachments

• HCC_297_fyne_audio_Reprint-LOW.pdf
    242.6 KB · Views: 8

Shaun1985

Novice Member
Those two are quite popular choices i linked earlier. You had 1k£ for speakers, sub and 450£ for receiver so 1450£ max. You have to save up for ceiling speakers though.

Either those floorstanding bundles or standmount speakers at front with stands. For some reason you get the newer better receiver for same price as X1600H. Add about 60£ for speaker stands for the below prices. Of course one could try to haggle these prices bit lower, won´t hurt to ask.

Found one bundle deal more with floorstanders and it´s from Fyne new brand. Old Tannoy speaker designers/engineers put up new brand called Fyne. Seems solid option, Steve Withers who writes reviews at AVF too gave it Best Buy so it must do something right. Only nitpick as with other systems is the small subwoofer for your 5,5x5,5 room. It could be changed, but even this is slightly over your budget.

perfect thanks for all your help and info it is much appriciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom