1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which speakers for £2000 - £2500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dblain, Jun 11, 2005.

1. dblain

dblain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking for solid ( good bass ) set of 5.1 speakers which are great for home cinema & music too.

Considering the Focal.JMLab Chorus S ( with a REL sub )
    or
    B&W 700 series

Keen to hear other's views on these & other suggestions as well.

Thanks DB,

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    With a question and budget like that you could well have 50 different opinions, all equally valid. If you want a subwoofer I'm not sure that you need main speakers that are particularly bassy.

For my tuppence worth I would suggest demo'ing PMC GB1 or Totem Rainmakers as main speakers with the centre and rears from the same manufacturer and if you want a top quality sub and don't mind the size something like the 20-39 PC Plus from SVS.

3. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I can highly recommend the PMC GB1.....totally amazing speaker, in size, price and performance.
    If i remember rightly i paid about £1300 for my GB1's and DB1 center speaker, that would leave you loads for a sub and surrounds.
    The new BK monolith looks a good buy for £400, so that could be the sub and then you would have enough left over for some nice unobtrusive M+K K4 surround speakers.
    Perfect setup.
    Nice front speakers for stereo......good sounding center......nice big sub, which seems to get good user reviews and some nice sounding little surrounds that dont stand out like others.
    Or if you want out standing stereo sound, just blow the whole budget on the mighty PMC OB1's and worry about the rest of the kit when the money funds recover.

4. chrislewis

chrislewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Mission elegante's everytime :thumbsup:

chris

5. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    What is the rest of the system

6. dblain

dblain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Londondecca, current kit is Rotel RSX-976, Rotel RDV-1080, Current speakers Ruark Vita plus Tivo & ntl: cable.

New room will be 3.7m long (excluding bay window) x 3m wide & 2.6m high with a projector screen at long lenght approx 300mm away from wall - seating @ approx 3.3m from screen with bay window behind ( if that makes sense :) ).

Cheers, DB.

7. Blindman

Blindman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What about 4 Quad 11Ls, centre and sub? You would have a great setup, and some change left over. :)

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,001
    I'd also echo the PMC route (of course I'm not biased;) )...but if you're going to buy a quality sub also, then I would suggest you look at the standmount TB2+ as well as the GB1s...with a good sub, you may find you prefer the TB2+'s... (when you factor in stands there's not much between them in price)...depends also if music or movies is your preference.

9. simeyfour

simeyfour
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For movies i'd def say 3 MK K7's at the front, 2 K4's at rear and REL stampede takes some beating...

I'm driving them from a denon 3805 and they sound great.....The REL provides a lovely bass response without being too harsh.....

10. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm no expert but I have heard and read very good things about the Kef KHT9000's. Could be worth a look, esp. if you are looking for a smaller form factor solution (ie. you can wall mount if you want).

http://www.kef.com/KHT/KHT9000ACE/home.htm

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    There are soooo many options in this price bracket, you are spoilt for choice :)

I'm thinking the Quad L series package would do you quite well, but with 21L or 22L fronts and 12L rears, swap out the sub for something else perhaps, but the Quad L Subwoofer is a cracker ion its own right too :).

There is also the Monitor Audio Gold Reference series to consider, the aforementioned PMC's, smurfin is on the ball with his suggestion too.

Spendor may also be an option, and if you like a warm, or very rich sound and don't mind sacrificing a bit of detail (and I mean only a tiny bit) then Dali may be an option too. Depends on what sound you prefer. I think both the Quads and the PMC's will be quite neutral with the Rotels, you are going to have sooo much fun with this :) heh heh.

12. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    sounus faber are one poss'.
    but i am very seriously looking at the usher brand in the coming couple of months.