1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which speakers do I buy?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by hoppy30, Feb 28, 2002.

1. hoppy30

hoppy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Have just bought a Marantz SR4200 receiver to go with Panasonic RV41 player. Not sure which subwoofer/satellite speaker system to go for. Was thinking of YAMAHA NS-P320 for £140 from QED.

Does anyone have this, or know of a good speaker package for approx £150 to £250?

Any suggestions + web links much appreciated

thanks

DH

2. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,079
    Have you tried Richer Sounds?
    For £400 you can have a big Mission set up. I think your Amp will enjoy you spending that little bit extra, and so will your ears!
    Or spend £500 and go for the Mirage AVS-500 sub/sat package. I used to have this and it's wicked !

Have fun.
    Kev

3. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, it's certainly worth spending a bit more. Otherwise there's little chance of them meeting your expectations.

4. hoppy30

hoppy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, have looked at richer sounds at the mission 77 series package for £400 reduced from £800. Would this be a good option, bit concerned that there's no sub. Or can you do without on the larger speaker systems?

thanks

DH

5. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will find the Mission Cinema 7 pack or any of the 77 series very difficult to get hold of now..... (Further supplies (if any) are only going to be available from Richer Sounds)

Ive been trying to get the £400 pack for my son in black for about six weeks now.... weve had them on order and all!!...... but its prooving very difficult.

I already have the Cinema 7 pack myself and am pleased with it..

However I did consider the Eltax Liberty which has had excellent press reviews, What Hi Fi awarded its front speakers five stars..

At £249.95 (£200 off) also from Richer Sounds, I think the "Eltax Liberty Pack" is superb value and I have a little niggle at the back of my mind about not going for that instead.

Regards JOHN

PS. Im leaving my options open regarding a sub....
    The Cinema 7 pack (& Eltax Liberty) arn't exactly short of base from a good amp anyway!

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Hoppy,

There are subs and there are subs. The subwoofers sold with some of the cheaper sub / sat systems provide the lower middle and upper bass which the sats can't handle and together they make up a full range system.

Full range speakers such as the Missions or Eltax are full range speakers in their own right and will give you the same amount of bass as a cheap sub / sat system.

A proper home cinema sub woofer is a completely different beast as it reinforces the bass and will go lower than than the normal speakers providing the sort of bass that is felt rather than heard.

I would advise you to buy a full range system without the sub and buy a decent one at a later date or look out for a second hand REL