1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which speakers - Budget £500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by 3sgte_power, Jun 10, 2005.

1. 3sgte_power

3sgte_power

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi All,

I have set myself a budget for £500 for a set of speakers, to pair it with a Linn Classik. So far i have heard, the Linn Kan, Katan and the AVI Neutrons. The Kan's were too lightweight for my liking, the Katan's and AVI Neutrons were pretty amazing. Before i purchase either one of the above two, are there any other speakers in this category, which i should demo before?

The music i mainly listen to is solo female artists and trance (Paul Oakenfold) stuff and also alot of indian music (needs crisp treble and highs).

Is there anything else out there?

I'd prefer standmount speakers TBH, however i'd consider floorstanders ONLY if they are less then 75cm (i know am sad).

Thanks

2. 3sgte_power

3sgte_power

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Just to throw a spanner in the works, i just heard the Quad 11L...sound absolutely stunning and look it too. Looks like i am spoilt for choice, each of the speakers i've dem'd with the Linn Classik are all good excellent in their own right.

I took the missus with me today for the dem, and she reckons the Quad 11L will look very nice in our room on some stands, which is a big plus point in my books :D

Not only that, i preferred the Quad 11Ls over the Katans and Neutrons aswell, musically and i have to say they'd look better in our room too. Plus they're cheaper :D

Anybody else fancy throwing a spanner in the works, before i go out and by me a pair of 11Ls :)

Thanks

3. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I was ganner suggest the Quads, untill i read your second post.
    They are very good speakers and that finish they come in, has got to be the best i have ever seen on any speaker, ever.......
    What about the Quad 12L, same looking speaker, with same brilliant finish, just a little bigger, so bit more low end on it.....it's still with in your budget.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you're going to be playing trance with the windows open I would suggest a very low powered speaker :D