Which Speakers - Around £100

G

Garysweb

I am looking for some speakers to go with a Pioneer VSX C301 AV Receiver
The budget is around 100 quid (will go a tiny bit over...only a tiny bit mind), can be full size or sats.
The fav at the moment seems to beThese Any comment on these would be good, as well as other suggestions.

Thanks
GW

Speakers are very important in any AV/music setup, those Eltax really are very low end.

I know you don't want to hear this but, it is worth saving more money and getting better speakers.

For budget sets check these out.

Mordaunt-Short Premiere Package £299.

http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsProd=PREMIER

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 8 HOME CINEMA SPEAKER PACKAGE at £329.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1072

ACOUSTIC ENERGY AEGIS EVO 1 HOME CINEMA SPEAKER PACKAGE £339.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1311

Mission M3S 5.1 speaker package at £379.
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1493

I dont mind spending a bit more but not really that much mate. Any suggestions for somthing a bit cheaper. This is only my first system so i dont want anythin TOO fancy.

Thanks
GW

Garysweb

what do you mean they are £150 there mate
thats a link showing them to you with full spec
no price there

they where £350 when i got them
And they sound very very good for a first system
plus you get an active sub as well
i ahve been very happy with them

Also where are you ????

let me know mate

if i were you id have a look at the eltax comet are selling a 5.0 set-up for£99.99 jupiter model as for a first speaker set you cant go wrong + if you dont like them take em back but you will be impressed as for the pascals i thought that when i had mine they sounded tinny and too quiet to get a decent cinema experience also by the way with the eltax you wouldnt need a sub as the fronts are quite bassy

Originally posted by micb3rd
Speakers are very important in any AV/music setup, those Eltax really are very low end.

Have you heard this package???

Give these a listen and see what YOU think. I have played about with a £100 Eltax package before and the results were not bad at all. Only you will know what sounds right for you. I would give them a go. You can always replace the front speakers in the future if needed.

Regards, Mylo:p

You could get 2 pairs of mission M71i for £120 from richers then buy a centre & sub second hand when funds allow.Used centre you could get for £20-30 and a half decent sub for £100.Total would be no more than £240 and would be a lot better than the cheaper complete systems on offer.

I would not go down this route. Firstly you will have front and rear speakers with a tonal match, and no centre speaker. The centre speaker is very important in surround sound; after all it deals with dialogue. When you have enough money to get the centre you need one that will match the others. Not always easy. Don't forget you would need to add another £60 for decent stands for the front 2 speakers. You can live without a Sub but not without a centre speaker in my opinion.
Don't restrict yourself to just Eltax, there are many packages around without blowing too much money.

I've got a 301 and am using a 5.1 setup made from the Logitech z560 speakers as featured in the special offers thread. If you can't get these then try the Tannoys which people seem pleased with at £150. Don't be misled by the people saying you need to spend more on speakers as the 301 is a very modest (but excellent for what it is) receiver and would probably be pressed to hard with some of the packages mentioned.

Mylo

Nothing to stop him using phantom for centre, alternatively 3 pairs of missions, still only an extra £59 and would have a front and rear matched soundstage and 6.1(without sub) to boot. Stands £20 per pair from richer.

hyperfi have the mission cinema 72 package for £170 and the 'cinema m740' (one of their own creations I think) for £300. The '740 looks particularly interesting as it's got a pair of mission m74i's at the front which are excellent.

Originally posted by kbfern
Mylo

Nothing to stop him using phantom for centre, alternatively 3 pairs of missions, still only an extra £59 and would have a front and rear matched soundstage and 6.1(without sub) to boot. Stands £20 per pair from richer.

£100 original budget blown, and a very difficult centre speaker to integrate into most rooms. Normal centre channels are magnetically shielded and designed to fit under or on top of TV's. I would also still like to hear the Mission against the Eltax just to see which sound best.

Cheers, Mylo :smoke:

Originally posted by RSRAVI
Garysweb

what do you mean they are £150 there mate
thats a link showing them to you with full spec
no price there

they where £350 when i got them
And they sound very very good for a first system
plus you get an active sub as well
i ahve been very happy with them

Also where are you ????

let me know mate

Thought you might say that...if you look in the text under the pic you will see what i mean...seems a little odd though, i have seen um for way more on other sites, as you said.

Whats the cheapest you would concider selling um for?

Oh yer, i am down in dorset :)

Originally posted by mylo
£100 original budget blown, and a very difficult centre speaker to integrate into most rooms. Normal centre channels are magnetically shielded and designed to fit under or on top of TV's. I would also still like to hear the Mission against the Eltax just to see which sound best.

Cheers, Mylo :smoke:

I lisened a some of the cheaper Eltax's sets back a few years ago, I directly compared them to the Mission M7 series and the Mission M7 series were far better especially the trebble.

The Mission M7c2 is a very nice center speaker, I was one of the first in the UK (the first on AV forums) to get one.

Just the price of the M7c2 is over his original speaker budget.

The older M7c1 was not very good speaker IMO very very thin in sound and size.

Grimleys,

Yes, and then pricematch it at RS, and get it down to 138!!! ;p

Wasabi

Originally posted by Garysweb
Thought you might say that...if you look in the text under the pic you will see what i mean...seems a little odd though, i have seen um for way more on other sites, as you said.

Whats the cheapest you would concider selling um for?

Oh yer, i am down in dorset :)

Make me a decent offer and I let you know mate
I have got the box for it so as long as you pay P&P i can send it to you unless you want to drive to London

It's a heavy Item am not sure what del will be
Let me know Am sure we can sort something out
Also will have a sony DVD player For sale soon
Model Sony DVP-S735D DVD Player if interested mate

Interested in the missions, dont want it to get too expensive though. What are the options? For the center for example.

As for the sonys. I will have to concider them, so i dont really want to make an offer just in case i dont go for um. Delivery will be pretty steap too...so um......

Thanks

Try and get a listen to a few mentioned and see what you think, S/H is an option and more bang per buck but £100 is very tight i think if you can stretch to £140 ish for tannoys as sats or one of the eltax packs (also lok at accoustic solutions) Comet sometimes have these really cheap as do currys Dont laugh guys a mate has 2 AS fronts and ELtax centre and rears from a Kenwood 5040 AMP the sound awsome for what he paid........ Maplins sometimes have a good deal on check them out.

Originally posted by kbfern
Mylo

Erm...wouldn't that be 6.0?;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom