Which speakers are you using with your Lyngdorfs?

craig808

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Since taking ownership of a Lyngdorf 2170 I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my speakers. I've contemplated stand mounts but due to the size of the room and my Mrs not liking them it will need to be another pair of floortstanders.

So basically I was wondering what you're all pairing with your Lyngdorf.

If you could state which speakers and your experience with them that would be great.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi all

Since taking ownership of a Lyngdorf 2170 I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my floorstanders.

So basically I was wondering what you're all pairing with your Lyngdorf.

If you could state which speakers and your experience with them that would be great.

Cheers

I have a pair of ATC SCM19s supported by a M&K X10 subwoofer nowadays and driven by a Lyngdorf TDAi 3400. Previously I had a pair of Spendor D7 speakers and the 3400 drove those very well too.

I changed to the ATCs as I wanted to go back to sealed standmount design as it suits my room better plus I wanted a matching centre speaker (there isn't one for the Spendors).

I have a pair of ATC SCM19s supported by a M&K X10 subwoofer nowadays and driven by a Lyngdorf TDAi 3400. Previously I had a pair of Spendor D7 speakers and the 3400 drove those very well too.

I changed to the ATCs as I wanted to go back to sealed standmount design as it suits my room better plus I wanted a matching centre speaker (there isn't one for the Spendors).

I started to look at standmounts as well. I was very keen on some Special 40's until my wife informed me that she's not a fan and prefers floorstanders!

I'm also not convinced that they'd fill my living room either. It's not overly large but an awkward shape with a vaulted ceiling, a mezzanine to the upper left and an open staircase to the rear corner.

Something like the ATC's or Dynaudio paired with a sub/s does still sound interesting though.

I started to look at standmounts as well. I was very keen on some Special 40's until my wife informed me that she's not a fan and prefers floorstanders!

I'm also not convinced that they'd fill my living room either. It's not overly large but an awkward shape with a vaulted ceiling, a mezzanine to the upper left and an open staircase to the rear corner.

Something like the ATC's or Dynaudio paired with a sub/s does still sound interesting though.

On looks alone, my wife prefers floor standers too and would prefer it all without a sub. However, she understands the need for a sub for movies and as I have a combined system for movies and music, she goes along with what I buy usually.

I did consider the ATC SCM40s, but would still have needed a sub, so the 19s worked out best for my needs. Whatever you get, I doubt you will be disappointed with the 2170. I had one on loan a couple of times last year before I settled on the 3400.

You know the right answer Craig.... :laugh:
A69EE615-202E-431A-A77D-0337801C6756.jpeg

Alternatively if it really must be floorstanders, then these are looking more and more tempting as the price is being dropped.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I’m using Harbeth 30.1 with my Lyngdorf amp. They’ve recently replaced some Kef R3’s which sounded a bit flat and boring in comparison to the Harbeths.

I’m contemplating trying the new Ls50 Meta as had the original Ls50 before but didn’t feel I ever did them justice with the amp I was using at that time - not a problem with the Lyngdorf!

Given the size of your room Craig, I think you need a pair of these Steinway Lyngdorf LS Concerts ......

Steinway_ModelLS_2.png

Then you add 6 x 12 inch subwoofers per side plus the necessary Steinway Lyngdorf electronics as it's an all digital system. Speakers are only 8 feet tall, so your vaulted ceiling will come in handy. They can hit THX reference levels at 50 metres, so you don't have to worry about room filling sound. :smashin:

I think it's around £500K for the whole system so it's a bit of a bargain at the moment. ;)

It all sounds magnificent in case you were wondering. :laugh:

Given the size of your room Craig, I think you need a pair of these Steinway Lyngdorf LS Concerts ......

View attachment 1377613

Then you add 6 x 12 inch subwoofers per side plus the necessary Steinway Lyngdorf electronics as it's an all digital system. Speakers are only 8 feet tall, so your vaulted ceiling will come in handy. They can hit THX reference levels at 50 metres, so you don't have to worry about room filling sound. :smashin:

I think it's around £500K for the whole system so it's a bit of a bargain at the moment. ;)

I have the same in my cupboard under the stairs.
:thumbsup:

I have got a set in the car :):)

View attachment 1377613

Right then, lets do it.

Saying that, they will need to fill a very large room as I would have to sell my house and therefore be sat in a field somewhere.

And I can blame the Mrs.."you said no stand mounts"

With 2170 or 2170+2400 I had B&W 804D2, Kef Ref 205, MA GR20 and ProAc 115 with REL T5x2 in and out of the mix.

With 3400 the ProAc and Martin Logan ESL11a.

RP improver the B&W the most. The ML the least as they have ARC for their dual subs already built in.

I have a cement floor with wood laminate, a pair of Townshend Platforms under the MLs has made as big a difference as a cmponent upgrade, really sorted the bass rattling the decor and windows - I do play it fairly loud now and then :)

Gus

craig808 said:
Should I get granite plinths for them???

I was thinking the same but they might be a bit heavy for the car and I was thinking about an intercom system for the passengers on the back seat

Attachments

• 33592620-tin-can-telephone-with-cut-string.jpg
    33592620-tin-can-telephone-with-cut-string.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited by a moderator:
Monitor Audio Gold 300 5G in a large room... Sound fantastic with the 3400 👍

2 Echo dots in stereo set up should do the job nicely

Craig, they are monsters. Hope you love them after all the brain bashing.

I'm not even going to get started on my little journey over the past 2 weeks.

@Steve356 and myself have been fully submerged in room treatments, rp, various music formats and tweaking. Far far far too much tweaking 🤣🤣🤣

All jokes apart though, I've finally got what is imo a very good setup. I just need to remember that a lot of recordings are poor and you can't polish a turd so to speak....but that's another conversation 🙄

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom