1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which speakers and 2 or 1 for Ex/ES?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Gadjet, May 31, 2002.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi everybody,

I have 4 Tannoy Mercury M 2.5 speakers all round ( not sure if done the right thing having back speakers the same as front?) Now I need to upgrade to go with new amp (when bought, cant decide which one) Is it too much at the back to have 4 M2.5,s. Should I go for a different type for the extra 2 needed or new type for all the 4 back speakers? Last question is, do I definately need 2 back speakers for EX or is one enough. To use 2 I will have to keep moving to and from door position when in use. ( amp is either Pioneer ax-10 or the new Denon A1SR)

Your help will be very much appreciated especially after getting through all the above questions.

Phill.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    As both the amps you have mentioned have THX Ultra 2, you´ll need two surround back speakers to take full advantage of the Ultra 2 post processing.

Having matching speakers is a great thing to do, though maybe not so important if you buy the Pioneer as its calibration circuit trys to tonally match the rears with the fronts anyway.

Maybe you should consider some smaller Tannoys that can be wall mounted so you dont have to move them although THX Ultra 2 now says the surround back speakers should be put as close together as possible so it may also be possible for you to have four 2.5´s as rears.

cheers

3. Patrick vdb

Patrick vdb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well congratulations you did the perfect thing using identical speakers in your set-up. In normal stereo everybody uses the same speaker for the left and right signals so why not following this principle in multichannel?

If you can add two extra M 2.5 speakers then you'll have the best possible set-up with the Tannoy's. If you do not have the space to place them then you could consider smaller Tannoy's.

Best regards

Patrick