Which speakers!?! - £1200 ish!

Skuffen Huffen

Standard Member
hi there...

i need a bit of advice please!!!

i have just bought a Denon DVD-3910 from this forum *thanks sprout!*

now i have decided the rest needs upgrading!!
i am going to get the denon 3805..always wanted one...

so what speakers?!?!?!

monitor audios - Silver of Bronze...rs6 or br5..?
or the B&w 600 series 3...?
kef IQ series?

it needs to be 5.1, but will use my existing old sub for a while..and they will be used more for listening to music than watching films...although i do listen to music in 5 channel stereo cos its a BIG room!

what do you suggest? am i missing any?
have to say i have always fancied the b&w's..but are they not old now?!
cheers

Helicon

Banned
i am going to get the denon 3805..always wanted one...

so what speakers?!?!?!

monitor audios - Silver of Bronze...rs6 or br5..?
or the B&w 600 series 3...?
kef IQ series?

what do you suggest? am i missing any?
have to say i have always fancied the b&w's..but are they not old now?!
cheers
Firstly, most AV receivers below £1k aren't going to be able to control the excessive bass of the B&W 600 series. The 300 series is a better match for most AV amps. The MA Bronze you'll be ok with, but forget the RS series. Again, they're above what the Denon can handle. The Kef's are fine, they're a leaner sound and far easier to control.

I'd say that pretty much covers the main speakers to look at. The 600 series is about to be replaced, but you'll be in the same boat as you are now. For any chance of controlling 600 series, a 4306 is needed as minimum, otherwise you'll be getting a monotonous bass lacking in definition. Ideally these need to be driven by hi-fi amplification.

bazofio

Standard Member
Firstly, most AV receivers below £1k aren't going to be able to control the excessive bass of the B&W 600 series. The 300 series is a better match for most AV amps. The MA Bronze you'll be ok with, but forget the RS series. Again, they're above what the Denon can handle. The Kef's are fine, they're a leaner sound and far easier to control.

I'd say that pretty much covers the main speakers to look at. The 600 series is about to be replaced, but you'll be in the same boat as you are now. For any chance of controlling 600 series, a 4306 is needed as minimum, otherwise you'll be getting a monotonous bass lacking in definition. Ideally these need to be driven by hi-fi amplification.

You say that most AV receivers below £1k don´t match the MA RS series, is that just for audio(music) or for movies too??

Canti1982

I too would say that monitor audio would be a good bet. I used to have The silver series paired with a Yamaha AV amp and they sounded pretty good but could be a little too harsh at times for my taste. If you go with the silvers then try and get some cables that will soften the treble slightly, van den hul seemed to do the trick for me.

I now have the monitor audio gold series paired with arcam electronics and its a bit smoother and more refined. I found Japanese electronics such as denon and yamaha were very good with movies but can be a little brash with music. Much is down to taste but if you ask around and get some good matching kit then you cant go too far wrong.

Helicon

Banned
You say that most AV receivers below £1k don´t match the MA RS series, is that just for audio(music) or for movies too??
It's not so bad for films, but music really shows up what an AV receiver isn't capable of. If you want an example of what i mean, just compare an AV receiver to a well warmed up Rotel RA-04 at £250 with say a pair of B&W DM603's. I've even heard satellite speakers from 5.1 packs sound a totally different animal on the end of a 2 channel hi-fi amp, the difference is amazing.

Don't get me wrong, they won't sound bad on the end of a multi-channel amp, but they'll be way off what they're capable of sounding like.

Most AV amps don't use audiophile components. Producing music isn't their prime purpose, it's a secondary thing. Floorstanding speakers from about £500 and above need much more control and current on tap than an AV amp is capable of providing.

Just one thing....i assume you're buying the 3805 second hand. NO dealer will have any brand new stock or demo stock of those left. They've been gone about 2 years now.

Skuffen Huffen

Standard Member
Just one thing....i assume you're buying the 3805 second hand. NO dealer will have any brand new stock or demo stock of those left. They've been gone about 2 years now.
yup...i am thinking that at around 400 quid second hand these amps are now a bargain....

so basically i am best off with the MA bronze...
cant argue! they are the cheapest!!

thanks for the advice...

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
horses....here, hold them a second...heh ;)

the 3805 will power the RS series just fine.......i use a 3803 with the Silver S series (basically both amp and speakers are one version previous) and my speakers were harder to drive than the RS's and work just fine.....

although I havnt heard the BR range, my Silver S's were a league above the previous B (as in previous version of BR) range, and the RS's are a shade above my Silver S's......somehow i doubt the BR's match the RS quality.....so buying them would be doing yourself an injustice if you have the money to match the RS pricepoint....

musically the RS are brilliant as well as movie, i dont know how much of an improvement the new BR centre is over the older B centre (the weakest point of the B range) but the RS centre (as is my Silver S Centre) is a very strong point in the Silver range....

even the £1,500-2,000 AV amps cant really do proper justice to speaker with music, I havnt heard the Arcam AVR350, but the 300 didnt do the business well enough to justify the price increase over the £1k Denons when it came to music, I found it wasnt till the nearly £2,000 Primare SPA21 that things came alive.....

and if you only have around £400ish to spend on the amp, you wont get the Arcams for that cash, but you can get the 3805......and then in the future, if stereo music is often a must, get a decent dedicated stereo amp and put that between the AV amp and the speakers using the pre-outs on the 3805 :)

i actually sold myself short by going Silver when I should have listened to the golds and gone for them........dont sell yourself short by going Bronze when the RS Silvers are so good...the 3805 can power them fine, and if you add a stereo amp, you'll get much more with that combo than as i say spending close to a couple grand on a single AV amp...

but demo demo demo demo whatever you can, just to make sure...heh

if you have your heart set on the 3805 anyhow, buy that first, ask the shop if they'd mind you taking it in and hooking it up to the BR and RS ranges to see which you prefer to go with :)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom