Which speaker wire?

thechase

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this and I've spent a lot of time reading around this site and the net, but still can't decide which speaker wire would be best suited for my needs. I'm currently under going a complete renovation and wish to run speaker wire to an outlet in the wall for a 5.1 that I will purchase at some stage. I'm thinking along the lines of van damme blue 1.5mm, qed micro speaker cable or qed 79 strand. I'm not looking to spend more the £2 p/m. Any advice, feedback or suggestions welcomed.

The 5.1 kit will probably be more of a start up kit, upto £1000, although i haven't looked at what components I want yet.

Thanks

The chase,

At 1.25MM^2 QED micro is a bit thin and weedy, both electrically and physically. Unless you have a particular space constraint, I would look elsewhere.

You running this cable buried in the wall? If so, the Van Damme is a good choice as it comes with an external sheath which provides additional protection, but does bulk the cable up.

If you want a good quality 2.5MM^2 cable without a sheath, and you don't need the bragging rights of a brand name, it is hard to beat TLC. The cable has been tested by a number on this forum and has found to very good. It is also very reasonably priced.

79 Strand Twin Fig 8 Speaker Cable

If you want a good quality 2.5MM^2 cable without a sheath, and you don't need the bragging rights of a brand name, it is hard to beat TLC. The cable has been tested by a number on this forum and has found to very good. It is also very reasonably priced.

79 Strand Twin Fig 8 Speaker Cable

agreed, i bought this after a few recomendations. it hasnt got fancy packaging, fancy name, or even look amazing but its good cable at a cheap price :)

Thanks for your responses. I'm even more confused now. I will have a look for the TLC reviews. I've never been a brand person (and wouldn't know where to start in this area) but want to maximise the sound quality. As the wires are being run through walls I can't afford to get this wrong.

Thanks

Richard

Thechase,

You wont find any reviews for the TLC cable. TLC are electrical factors, they sell no nonsense cables, switches and electrical fittings to the trade. They also happen to sell no nonsense speaker cable, which turns out to be pretty good, and at an excellent price. To their credit they don't load their prices for retail customers, just dont expect a fancy shop, they are usually on industrial parks. You can also order off their website.

If I was a suspicious man, I might link the lack of reviews with the lack of their advertising spend in hifi magazines on their cable.

Going back to my previous post, if you are burying in the wall and aren't using conduit, then you might want to use the Van Damme. I has a protective outer sheath that doen't make any difference to the sound, but makes the cable more resistant to abuse.

I just bought QED Original Cable, for £1\m..

I hope this cable is good enough!

I found a guy on eBay, 30m uncut for £32 delivered.

Send me pm if interested and il give you his details.

I need 40 metres uncut so that sounds like a bargain. No offence, but is it all original QED wire?

Sorry how do you send a PM on this site?

If you are new to the forum, then you have to wait afew days, or request it.

He did say it's original..

I just bought QED Original Cable, for £1\m..

The QED “original” loudspeaker cable is now available in two sizes.

79 strand 2.5 mm² conductor cross-sectional area (CSA) which is the genuine “original” size,

and 42 strand 1.25 mm² CSA, which is about half the price of the 79 strand cable.

Which size is this e-bay advertised QED cable?

[At £1 per metre I would guess it is more likely to be the 42 strand cable].

QED Speaker Cables Classic 42/79 Strand

Alan

I had a chat with the guy on the phone, he said that's not for the original cable? Is classic different from original?

I was at seven oaks just now, they said theres only one type of QED original cable.

Seven oaks said the original rrp is £3/m in the link it's £1.99

These are two different cables from what I have seen. The 42/79 strand is not the same as the 'original' cable.

should all cables be fitted using a conduit and would there be an impact if positioned near an electric socket?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom