Which Speaker stands for Onkyo system

MZC24

Novice Member
So fairly new to the whole AV and this forum, so after some advice.

I am looking to buy the below speakers with a Sony amp (budget is £300 for amp)

I am not sure what speaker stands to get for the rears, want to spend as little as possible as its spiraling out of control. Can anyone suggest speaker stands that would fit the Onkyo

Onkyo HTS5805 (Black)

Also I will be wall mounting the fronts and someone on here recommended these, any others that will fit the big fronts that come with this system?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/B-Tech-BT7...ds=btech+bt77&qid=1562096554&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Thanks

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I'd start off with advising you to buy other speakers. General impressions of the Onkyos Atmos speakers on here aren't very good.

Also that item you've linked to, possibly you mean the speakers only but that package comes with an Onkyo AVR for the price.

If you're budget limited then possibly start off second hand and/or building your system slower. Start off with a pair of speakers for the front, buy a sub when you can afford it, a centre whn ou have the cash, a rear pair etc.
You don't have to spend a fortune but you'd rather spend a bit more and get it right than waste money on something you're unhappy with soon after you buy it?

Something like this would be significantly better - https://petertyson.co.uk/denon-avr-...-wharfedale-dx-2-5-1-speaker-package?___SID=U

Or if you're wanting more of a sub/sat system - Denon AVR-X2500H AV Receiver with Monitor Audio Mass AV Speakers
Note that a sub/sat system can be great but it's dependant upon the size of the room, if it's a big room you really need larger speakers.

Neither of those come with Atmos, but the AVR can take 2 more speakers to work with Atmos when your budget allows.

MZC24

Novice Member
I'd start off with advising you to buy other speakers. General impressions of the Onkyos Atmos speakers on here aren't very good.

Also that item you've linked to, possibly you mean the speakers only but that package comes with an Onkyo AVR for the price.

If you're budget limited then possibly start off second hand and/or building your system slower. Start off with a pair of speakers for the front, buy a sub when you can afford it, a centre whn ou have the cash, a rear pair etc.
You don't have to spend a fortune but you'd rather spend a bit more and get it right than waste money on something you're unhappy with soon after you buy it?

Something like this would be significantly better - Denon AVR-X2500H AV Receiver with Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Speaker Package

Or if you're wanting more of a sub/sat system - Denon AVR-X2500H AV Receiver with Monitor Audio Mass AV Speakers
Note that a sub/sat system can be great but it's dependant upon the size of the room, if it's a big room you really need larger speakers.

Neither of those come with Atmos, but the AVR can take 2 more speakers to work with Atmos when your budget allows.

Thanks for the response, all advice appreciated.

Is the Onkyo not well received on this forum due to poor sound quality? As all the reviews I have read rate is really well.

The first one you sent looks decent, will this be significantly better than the speak amp package with atmos I posted?

Apologies for all the newbie questions.

With the system I wanted it brings me atmos and some fairly loud sound (big living room) for around £650

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
If you have a big room then there's another reason not to go for the Onkyo or any sub/sat system. The speakers don't have the volume to fill the room. You really need bookshelf type speakers to fill a larger room or floorstanders. I'm sure the Onkyos are rated well on Amazon etc but this is an AV forum with people who are a bit more knowledgable. I'm not saying the Onkyos will be awful but for a little bit more money you could get something an awful lot better such as the Denon/Wharfedale package.

However if you have a larger room then I'd be looking for something larger than that.

Depending upon your room layout and ceiling type/height the type of speaker the Onkyo is (upfiring) may not be suitable as well.

Personally, I could give you a ton of advice all day, but I don't know you, your tastes, your home etc. I think you need to go and do a bit of researching and preferably if you can, some listening. The likes of Richer Sounds or Peter Tyson, if you're in the UK, have demo rooms which you can call them and ask to setup some stuff for you.

Here's a review from this site for a couple of speaker packages. Ignore the prices on the reviews as they do tend to decrease over time.

Wharfedale DX-2 Home Cinema Speaker Package Review
Q Acoustics 3000 5.1 Speaker System Review - These can be bought, if you can find them, for a bargain price compared to the newer version which just launched recently.
Monitor Audio MASS Speaker Package Review

MZC24

Novice Member

Something like this would be significantly better - Denon AVR-X2500H AV Receiver with Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Speaker Package

Have just seen this on RS, Denon AVRX550BT & Wharfedale DX2

Thanks again for the detailed response.

Perhaps I was slightly misleading, the living room itself is big, but the area where the TV and speaker set up is will be a lot smaller, approximately 16 M3

The floor to ceiling height is about 2.5m, its a period property, the walls are freshly plastered and painted with carpet.

I can probably up my budget to about 750 for speakers and amp so will have another look around.

A lot to take in when you delve into the AV world, but will be worth it once its all set up.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Yes. It's the AVR that supports Atmos. You'd need to purchase two speakers, which can be done now or much later.

For smaller type speakers your options are more limited for Atmos in that you can't just buy some upfiring modules and put them on top of the speakers as they're not large enough.
You'd be looking at either mounting the speakers on the ceiling or using in-ceiling speakers.

Quite a few members use Cambridge Audio Minx 12's/22's as ceiling mounted speakers, the mounts can be purchased separately from Cambridge Audio.
You could also buy used Minx 10's.

Something to also remember regarding cost. Not all packages from all retailers come with speaker cable. You'll possibly get a better deal speaking to them on the phone over just ordering online. Then you can try and get cable included, warranty extension etc. Do a bit of googling and see what deals other retailers have.

As to the size of the room, it might just be a small area of your living room but if it's not an enclosed space then the entire volume of your living room is what matters, not just your TV area. If it's a larger space then small speakers are probably going to disappoint.

MZC24

Novice Member
Yes. It's the AVR that supports Atmos. You'd need to purchase two speakers, which can be done now or much later.

For smaller type speakers your options are more limited for Atmos in that you can't just buy some upfiring modules and put them on top of the speakers as they're not large enough.
You'd be looking at either mounting the speakers on the ceiling or using in-ceiling speakers.

Quite a few members use Cambridge Audio Minx 12's/22's as ceiling mounted speakers, the mounts can be purchased separately from Cambridge Audio.
You could also buy used Minx 10's.

Something to also remember regarding cost. Not all packages from all retailers come with speaker cable. You'll possibly get a better deal speaking to them on the phone over just ordering online. Then you can try and get cable included, warranty extension etc. Do a bit of googling and see what deals other retailers have.

As to the size of the room, it might just be a small area of your living room but if it's not an enclosed space then the entire volume of your living room is what matters, not just your TV area. If it's a larger space then small speakers are probably going to disappoint.

Thanks again, some real gems of info there.

So I am sold on the denon Amp, just need to make my mind up on the speakers now, have 350 to play with.

As my room has a high ceiling height, I can wall mount speakers pretty much at ceiling level albeit on the wall.

Do you think this will work? although they would have be mounted above the front speakers, which may look odd, unless they are upwards firing (but I get the gist you don't think this would work)

If so, can you recommend some speakers that could work for this?

MZC24

Novice Member
This is my living room, it's work in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1887.jpg
    IMG_1887.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 58

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Is it a TV above the fireplace?
I'd look into this as if you're planning on using the fireplace that can create issues with heat and a lot of people, once they do it, don't like it.
You're looking at the TV at an unnatural angle, similar to sitting in the front row of a cinema with your neck craned upwards. My friend did it and I get a sore neck after an hour when round at his house.

I understand though, not everyone can have TV's etc in ideal position due to partners tastes, room layout etc.

The speakers I mentioned, the Minx would be fine for that
Front mounting is an option, above your front left and right speakers.

The ideal position is above you, slightly ahead as per this Dolby layout.

5.1.2 Overhead Speakers

Looking at your room I think a sub/sat system would be fine.

The 2nd package one I previously linked to is a bargain as the speakers are now discontinued, been replaced with an inferior newer model and are about half price.
Denon AVR-X2500H AV Receiver with Monitor Audio Mass AV Speakers

You're getting the whole package for less than the launch price of the speakers.
This is a forum review of them- Monitor Audio MASS Speaker Package Review

You don't have to buy Atmos speakers right away, I know you want them, but they can wait until you have more funds. It's better to build the right system slowly than buy everything at once and regret compromising on the end result.

There is this package on the forums available - For Sale - Q Acoustics 7000i 5.1 Speakers ★ WHAT HiFi 5 Star Award Winner ★ PRICE DROP £350 ★
Which is an outstanding satellite package, however, I'd advise doing some reading in the classifieds first as this is a member with low feedback and not much forum history.
(Note I have no classified history bar one purchase, it just means you should proceed with some caution and common sense)

Kef Eggs are always popular for a reason - For Sale - Kef 2005.3 Full set of 5 egg speakers with 2 x original KEF stands in black

Set of Monitor Audio MASS with no subwoofer - For Sale - Monitor Audio Mass 5.0 & 2 MA Mass stands
That's not necessarily a bad thing as it's usually the sub that's the weak link is speaker packages.

Note that I'm not encouraging you to purchase any of these used sets from the forum. I'm just providing information. You need to come to an educated decision and protect yourself from potential fraud using common sense. The forums are a good place to trade and there are many established members with a large amount of trading feedback but you need to do a bit of homework.

MZC24

Novice Member
Is it a TV above the fireplace?
I'd look into this as if you're planning on using the fireplace that can create issues with heat and a lot of people, once they do it, don't like it.
You're looking at the TV at an unnatural angle, similar to sitting in the front row of a cinema with your neck craned upwards. My friend did it and I get a sore neck after an hour when round at his house.

I understand though, not everyone can have TV's etc in ideal position due to partners tastes, room layout etc.

The speakers I mentioned, the Minx would be fine for that
Front mounting is an option, above your front left and right speakers.

The ideal position is above you, slightly ahead as per this Dolby layout.

5.1.2 Overhead Speakers

Looking at your room I think a sub/sat system would be fine.

The 2nd package one I previously linked to is a bargain as the speakers are now discontinued, been replaced with an inferior newer model and are about half price.
Denon AVR-X2500H AV Receiver with Monitor Audio Mass AV Speakers

You're getting the whole package for less than the launch price of the speakers.
This is a forum review of them- Monitor Audio MASS Speaker Package Review

You don't have to buy Atmos speakers right away, I know you want them, but they can wait until you have more funds. It's better to build the right system slowly than buy everything at once and regret compromising on the end result.

There is this package on the forums available - For Sale - Q Acoustics 7000i 5.1 Speakers ★ WHAT HiFi 5 Star Award Winner ★ PRICE DROP £350 ★
Which is an outstanding satellite package, however, I'd advise doing some reading in the classifieds first as this is a member with low feedback and not much forum history.
(Note I have no classified history bar one purchase, it just means you should proceed with some caution and common sense)

Kef Eggs are always popular for a reason - For Sale - Kef 2005.3 Full set of 5 egg speakers with 2 x original KEF stands in black

Set of Monitor Audio MASS with no subwoofer - For Sale - Monitor Audio Mass 5.0 & 2 MA Mass stands
That's not necessarily a bad thing as it's usually the sub that's the weak link is speaker packages.

Note that I'm not encouraging you to purchase any of these used sets from the forum. I'm just providing information. You need to come to an educated decision and protect yourself from potential fraud using common sense. The forums are a good place to trade and there are many established members with a large amount of trading feedback but you need to do a bit of homework.

Yep the TV is above the fire place, and again your correct, it's an agreement with the wife, so can't change the location. I will try and mount it as low as possible, however the middle speaker might push it up more than I would like.

I think I am torn between the audio mass and Denon with Wharfdale, but leaning towards the wharfdale (they also come with cables)

Final questions, and thanks for all your help today:

1. Would you place the speakers away from the TV slightly, so on the front facing picture they would not sit flush with the wall next to where the wall goes back, instead they would be approximately 300mm away from where the TV and then face them in with a stand? or does it not make much difference, as would rather have them next to the TV.

2. What height would you sit the front facing speakers at, the ceiling height is 2.6m, but the TV won't obviously be this high.

3. The link with the wall mounting stands, would they work with the wharfdales? and can you recommend a speaker stand for the rears

4. If I was to buy speakers in the near future to face upwards for ATMOS, are there any reasonably priced ones out there?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Look at the Dolby cinema layout I linked to as a guide.

1. The speakers would be better slightly apart for the purposes of stereo separation. Having them on the slightly recessed wall at the side is fine. The AVR will correct for any minor imbalance. They should then be toed in to point towards your main listening position.

2. I'm not sure of the correct place to put your speakers because the TV is so high. Ideally, speakers should be placed at ear height when seated but as your display is so high up I'm not quite sure. My centre has always been directly under my TV and the speakers about 10 inches either side, but that's at ear height.

3. I've only used stands that are designed for the actual speakers by the manufacturer. The MA MASS can be purchased with wall brackets that swivel or stands. I don't see anything for the Wharfedale specifically.

4. You won't get upward facing speakers for satellites as you place the upwards firing Atmos speakers on top of your fronts and they're too large to fit on top of a small speaker. They're designed for bookshelf speakers or floorstanders.
Something might come out in the near future and there are manufacturers such as those Onkyos you saw and Focal that make speakers with it built in, but they're either more expensive or just not that good.

Sidenote - For running cable and concealing it, have a look at D-Line trunking. You affix it to the top of skirting, in corners of walls etc and once painted hardly notice it. Obviously chasing it into walls, running it under carpets is preferable if you can do it.

MZC24

Novice Member
Ok, I feel as though I am lot more educated on speakers now from your advice and suggest research, so much appreciated.

I will try and get to RS and see what they have in stock to test.

Just out of curiosity, if you had my room, what speaker and amp set would you go for with my budget of 750? The Denon and Wharfdale, The Mass or another set up?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Probably the MASS system or if I could find a 2nd hand QAcoustics Q7000 in budget I'd go with that.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom