1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Speaker package

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Rickyj @ Kalibrate, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    I am in the process of changing my old mission speakers for a new sub/sat package, and wondered if people could let me know what there experiences have been with the following. Thanks :D

Kef 2005 - good reviews and had a demo of these, and was very impressed, but they were connected to a £3000 system.

B & W VM1s - Slightly bigger, but still ok, what hifi seems to think they are better than Kefs, but also more expensive, and harder to get a demo of.

Sony Pascal 835ED - only really became an option because of cheap price, and the high frequency they can reach (for DVD-A).

I have picked the above, as they are upgradable to 6.1 with single speakers available for each, which will become an option later on.

Currently they will be hooked up to a Sony 930 receiver, with a Toshiba 520e dvd player. But am looking to change the amp sometime soon to possibly a Sony 1080, or Yamaha RV630, which is why 6.1 could become an issue.

The speakers will be used for both music (CD & DVD-A) and DVD video. So please bear that in mind.

Thankyou again

Ricky :D

2. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +380
    I demo'd the Kef's with both the Yam 630 and Sony 1080. They were impressive (and I decided to go for the Sony 1080 amp).

I haven't set them up yet at home as I'm finishing some painting this week first - but I'll let you know what I think next week or so.

Don't know much about the other packages other than what you've read in reviews.

3. vee_cee

vee_cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the kefs and have dem'd the B&W VM1's. Both these speakers seem to be sensitive to what amp they are paired with.

During the period of demoing systems, I listened to following

Kefs with Denon 3802 (Good) / Marantz 7300 (To smooth, laid back) / Pioneer 2011 & 1011 (Really Good)

B&W with Marantz (as above) / Pioneers (to bright and thin).

But a demo is what is needed really to make a decision

Cheers
    VC

4. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The Kef Eggs and also the Gallo' sat package are both very popular with many members here and are often powered by the denon 3802 (my eggs are).

I 'think' the Eggs now come with an improved sub also, the earlier one was not particularly impressive.