1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which speaker for Arcam AVR300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by steventucker, Oct 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. steventucker

steventucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a pair of Quad 11Ls for the front of my Arcam AVR300. Is this a sensible choice? I mostly listen to acoustic stereo music at low/medium volumes so purity and detail of sound is important.

Quad 11L speakers are rated at 6ohm. The Quad website states that although rated at 6ohm the speakers are suitable for use with 8ohm amplifiers.

My other question is: What setting on the AVR300 speaker impedance switch do I choose for the best quality sound at low/mid volumes, 4ohms or 8ohm?

Cheers
    Steven.

2. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Be careful with speaker matching with this amp. I had one for a while but it clipped something terrible trying to power my Tannoy saturn S10's. This wasn't at lunatic volumes either ! Don't know the quads, but if they require a decently powerful amp then the Arcam ain't it ! (Despite what the figures quote !)

As always, ensure you demo before parting with your hard earned cash.

As to the ohm rating, If I remember correctly you should always set your amp to a lower or equal impedance than the speakers used, i.e. 6 ohm speakers should have the amp set to 4 ohm to prevent damage. (Don't quote me on this though - do a search on speaker impedance to check this out, but I think it's right.

Cheers,

Andy

3. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should drive the 11L's OK. It worked fine on my 12L's though one does have to "crank" the volume to its upper range for it to sound loud.

After Demoing 3805, AVR300 and Panasonic XR45 vs my Denon 1602
    (all in home) I now have the Panny :)
    Sound "silly" i know but i was the one that had me pulling out all the tracks i hadn't heard in a while...... one impressive little performer at a fraction of the cost. The others sound "flat" in comparison. Going "back" to the "conventional" types (panny is digital) one can pickup on the same "details" that opened ones eyes on the panny... but i only really "know" they are there because they panny made me aware of such.

The panny did for me what i "hear" on my mates Music Fiedlity 2ch integrade + naimCD vs recievers...... ie when i got there i know the tracks yet there is "more" in the music... going home to my denon if i really try i can pickup what i heard but its behind a blanket....... with the panny its simply there like the higher end gear.

Oh might i add its not all resolution, dynamics, bass, speed soundstage are better also :)

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The acoustic energy AElite range are a good match as are the Kef Q series.