1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which speaker for a stereo setup?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by WhyAyeMan, Jan 25, 2003.

?
  1. B&W DM601 Series 3

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. Kef Q1

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Mission 780

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    For a Rotel RA-01, Cambridge DAC3, Pioneer DV-350S combo, for improved (i.e. crisper) bass response, and better (i..e more, higher detailed) treble. They are going to replace Wharfedale Diamond 8.2s.

Go on, stick a vote in....

B&W DM601 Series 3
    KEF Q1
    Mission 780

:D

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Bump!

Also, it looks like I will replace the choice of the 780 with Mission's M51. Has anyone heard these speakers? On the whole, they get very promising write ups...

3. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Paul

Surely you're not going to replace your existing speakers on the basis of a poll without auditioning the contenders yourself are you?

All of them are fine speakers, get yourself off to a dealer and see which suits your taste.

4. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    GaryG, of course I'm not :p Seriously, I have done a few opinion polls on various forums, but more than anything else it was just a bit of fun.

FYI, I am going to audition the following speakers on Saturday with my Rotel RA-01 amp, and Cambridge DAC3...

B&W 601 Series 3
    B&W 602 Series 3
    Kef Q1
    Mission M51
    Monitor Audio Silver 1
    Quad 11L
    Tannoy R1

I have ruled the 780 out as too civilised, and too power hungry. In comparison, the M51 apparently has a more exciting sound, looks better (IMO), and represents a far less demanding load on the amplifier. My money is on these to be honest, but I wont know till I have heard them all.

If anyone's interested, I'll post my thoughts on all of them when I hear them :D

5. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Being a Uni-Q fan, my money's on the Q1 although it's got some tough competition there, if nothing else it should have a wider 'sweet spot' than the others.

6. chino

chino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My vote would go on the 602 S3's, great speakers for the money. I was going to get some but ended up buying some Monitor Audio S6's.

It may be a bit of an unfair test if it's bass your after as the 602's are much bigger than all the others (i think) and produce much more as a result. (bad description, can't think of the best way to write it)

Chino