Which soundbar would you pick from these four?

goooober

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an LG OledA1 and 2017 Shield and i'm after a soundbar with the following two features;

HDMI In with 4K Passthrough

Dolby Digital Plus

Absolute max budget is £350 so i'm not expecting anything amazing.

I have found a few already but they all have good reviews and bad reviews depending on where you look - LG SN7CY, Denon DHT-S517, JBL Bar 5.0, Yamaha YAS-209.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The Denon has a dedicated subwoofer but no DTS decoding. So if that doesn't bother you I would choose that over the others.

@zubeir Can you elaborate why you have recommended Denon S517 over others please? Even I am torn between Denon DHT-S517, JBL Bar 5.0, Yamaha YAS-209 to go with my LG OLED and not able to make up my mind. I don't know much about DTS and all, just want a good, crispier sound system to watch movies and listen to music (from my phone as well). Please do recommend.

Sony HT8500 is worth a look. It’s on my watchlist if/when my existing bar gives up the ghost.

@zubeir Can you elaborate why you have recommended Denon S517 over others please? Even I am torn between Denon DHT-S517, JBL Bar 5.0, Yamaha YAS-209 to go with my LG OLED and not able to make up my mind. I don't know much about DTS and all, just want a good, crispier sound system to watch movies and listen to music (from my phone as well). Please do recommend.
The Denon has a dedicated subwoofer, a soundbar without it will be ok but it won't be able to go very low on frequencies. A separate sub in my opinion wouldn't crowd or drown out the mid and high frequencies from the bar.

Thank you both.
Even Yamaha YAS-209 has a dedicated subwoofer, and has DTS. Does that make it better than Denon S517? Or there are better features in S517 over YAS-209?

Sony & LG pale in comparison to others, in my experience.
Get the Yamaha!

Another option is a Samsung that you can upgrade later, adding a sub & surrounds.
Get one that's ready for ATMOS/DTSX: 3.0.2

Last edited:
From Denon website, the 517 supports DTS-HD Master but not DTS!? Very misleading.
Yamaha 209 doesn't support DD+!!

Only LG has good details on the specs. I just wonder how the SN7CY sounds.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom