1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Sound Field?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hornby, Aug 2, 2005.

1. hornby

hornby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone tell me which is the best sound field that i can enable to get the most from my movies.

I do know their are certain sound fields for certain films but i want one for an all-rounder,,,, saves me from changing it etc.

here they are:

St EX A
    St EX B
    St EX C
    A.F.D AUTO
    Pro Logic
    Pro Logic 2 Movie
    Pro Logic Music

Which is the best for the majority of films?

Thanks Guys,

Marcus

2. hornby

hornby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does any person have a clue about this?

3. hornby

hornby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look guys i wouldnt mind some advice please?

4. Petey

Petey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Most movies carry a 5.1 soundtrack, so usually this will switch your amp to the correct setting automatically.

For eg:

5.1 dvd - amp dolby digital
    2.0 dvd - amp dolby pro-logic

From the look of the options available to you though I would suggest (pro-logic 2 movie) for movies. I've spoken to someone else on this forum that said he uses pro-logic 2 setting instead of dolby digital as he prefers the sound it produces.

It is down to personal preference though, you may feel that some settings sound better than others. Experiment a bit until you find the one that sounds best to you.

As I said though, the amp usually switches to the correct setting depending on the audio source.

5. hornby

hornby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thankyou,

Will this automatic change happen with all settings or must i have a special sound field selected for this to happen?

6. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hornby,

It would help if you told us a bit more about your setup.

From the list of choices, I'm guessing you've got a Sony.

I've got a Sony STR-DB940 amp and I like the Cinema St Ex B soundfield - it fills out the rear channels on 5.1 material nicely. "St Ex A" is the all-rounder I think, with B good for action and C for music.

A.F.D is Auto Format Decode and will give you vanilla Dolby Digital 5.1 / DTS.

HTH,
    Steve.

7. hornby

hornby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hmmm nice setup, but I would be tempted to unplug the rear speakers & remove them from the system. This will create more desktop space & more importantly create a better stereo image from the front speakers.

At the moment all the sound is coming from the front causing all sorts of chaos to the sound field.

Temporarily place the rear spakers behind you & try a good dvd on it, see & hear just what you are missing.

Regards

Gary

9. hornby

hornby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nein i cant stand wires.

But do you think my sound would improve if i just removed the left and right surrond speakers. Though the sound at the moment is still cool :D

10. jchm

jchm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cabstar is right - having NO surround speakers will certainly be better than having them where they are now!

If you are after a decent surround sound but don't like wires, then you have a problem! :D Any scope for running them under floor/carpet, or in mini-trunking?

Also, no amp-produced soundfield will compensate for not having all the speakers in the right place - you are going to have a seriously compromised result!

11. hornby

hornby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ill just keep it the way it is :p