1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Sony player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BallJoint, Dec 14, 2001.

1. BallJoint

BallJoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to make my first purchase and can't decide between the DVPNS300D, or the DVPNS400D for an extra £41 (from EmpireDirect). The only difference I can see is that the 400 has a built-in Dolby 5.1 decoder, whereas the 300 doesn't.

Is this the only real difference and if it is, is it worth the extra?

Should I be considering any other makes?

What d'ya reckon?

2. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure the 400 has 2 scarts, which could be important depending on your inputs and outputs

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't comment on other makes but I do have a Sony myself and am highly delighted with it for the price. If the difference is only a 5.1 decoder then it depends what sort of amp you have.A player without a decoder will have a co-ax and optical output that plugs into the applicable input on your amp, to get DD or DTS your amp has to be able to decode DD and DTS from the digital input. A player with built in decoder will have 6 phono out sets on the back which will plug into a multi channel amp. The player can decode the 5.1 signal and send it through these outputs to be played by the amp. This is useful if your amp has multi channels but no DD/DTS decoder. Most do so the decoder on the player is rarely used.

You'll find most people have their player connected up with a co-ax cable and get the amp to decode into DD or DTS. If your amp has this then don't bother with the extra.

S

4. BallJoint

BallJoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Paiger, you're help is much appreciated. I don't have an amp yet, so if they tend to come with decoders in them then I'll get the cheaper DVD and spend what I save on a decent amp.

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CHeck out the Sony STBR 940 Amp. It sounds great for the money if you can still get one and it'll do DD/DTS and also look great with your player. A bit more cash gets you into Denon territory which is really really good kit.

6. perry ferrit

perry ferrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate, i have a sony 536 multi region and the pic and sound is brilliant for the money.I dont think sony have made a bad player to date incidentally mine is for sale if you are interested it is 11 months old and has a full techtronics multi mod chip instaled from new the machine is like brand new and comes boxed with all the handbooks from sony and techs the only reson i am selling it is i have just bought a sony dvd/sacd player.