1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Sony is discontinued?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by kingbing, Aug 1, 2004.

1. kingbing

kingbing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks. I'm looking at getting a 28" widescreen - I'd like it to be a Sony - and am a little confused about which sets are currently discontinued. The sets I'm looking at are the KV28FX68 and the KV28FQ70(U).

I've just spent a good few hours going back through this forum, and found a couple of posts that state that the KV28FX68 is discontinued, and being replaced with the KV28CS70.

But then I phoned up my local Sony centre to be told that it's the KV28FQ70 that's discontinued, and being replaced by the KV28CS70.

And then I go online, and find that I can buy all 3 sets. www.totaldigital.biz has the FQ70 for £599, the CS70 for £499 and the FX68 for £429. This does look like the CS70 is a replacement for the FX68, while the FQ70 is a higher spec model (it's ABAB 100hz, rather than the FX68's AABB, which I believe is better?)

But then Sony's website lists the CS70 and the FX68, but not the FQ70!

Can anyone shed any light on this? Which is discontinued, and which set replaces what? Are any of them worth getting? Is it even worth getting a discontinued one?

Thanks!

2. mgns

mgns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    hi,

basically, i think the CS70 replaces the FQ70 but it is proabably best to check out any tech spec differences with a dealer. i know the FX68 is still listed in the new 2004 tech spec brochure but not in the catalogue it comes in.

as for the price differences, i think it's just a delay - the CS70 has only just come out and so i don't think they've adjusted the FQ70 prices. in any case, with plasma/lcd tv coming down in price, even new CRTs are going to be competitively priced against last year's discounted models.

i saw a CS70 playing Monsters Inc and was pretty impressed - but haven't been able to compare it with a Loewe Aventos yet.

hope this helps - let us know if you find out more/how it turns out.

mgns

3. kingbing

kingbing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic, thanks.

I've had a chat to the chappy in the Sony Centre, and apparently, both the FX68 and the FQ70 are being discontinued, and currently, the only replacement 28 incher they're doing that isn't an integrated one.

Unfortunately the Sony shop didn't have any on display. Apparently John Lewis do, so I'm off there tomorrow, armed with price match information...

I'll report back...